Effects of Aidi Injection (艾迪注射液) with Western Medical Therapies on Quality of Life for Patients with Primary Liver Cancer: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis
- 38 Downloads
To evaluate the effects of Aidi Injection (艾迪注射液, AD) in combination with Western medical therapies (WMT) in patients with primary liver cancer (PLC).
Randomized controlled trials (RCTs) comparing AD plus WMT with WMT alone were retrieved from inception to March 2013 by retrieving the literature database thoroughly and systematically. The extracted data from included studies were analyzed and synthesized by Review Manager 5.2 software. The Cochrane risk of bias tool was used to assess the quality of included studies, and Begg's and Egger's tests were used to evaluate the potential presence of publication bias. The studies were divided into 7 separate subgroups in terms of quality of life (QOL), recent chemotherapy and the incidence of leukocyte reduction. The subgroup analysis was applied to assess the heterogeneity between included researches, and the sensitivity analysis was used to weigh the stability of studies.
Twenty-four RCTs were included in this study. Compared with WMT used alone, AD as additional intervention was more effective on improving QOL (P<0.01), increasing short-term efficacy (P<0.01), prolonging life (P<0.05 or P<0.01), relieving clinical symptoms (P<0.01), and reducing adverse events (e.g. reduce white blood cell counts, P=0.002; reduce in platelet counts, P<0.01). Subgroup analysis showed that the hepatic artery interventions with AD was superior in improving QOL (P<0.01) and enhancing short-term response rates (P=0.007) and reducing white blood cell counts (P=0.0004) than hepatic artery interventions alone (P<0.01). The chemoembolization plus AD or the chemotherapy plus AD were both better than chemoembolization or the chemotherapy alone in improving the QOL and short-term response rate (P<0.05 or P<0.01).
AD in combination with WMT improves QOL in patients with PLC. Considering the inherent limitations of the included studies, further well-designed, rigorously performed, high-quality, and double-blinded RCTs with large sample sizes are needed.
KeywordsAidi Injection primary liver cancer quality of life systematic reviews Meta-analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
Deng X designed the research project. Liang J was responsible for data analysis. Liu L prepared the manuscript and collected the documents. All authors read and approved the final manuscript.
- 1.Zai YL, Nan SZ. Internal medicine. 7th ed. Beijing: People's Medical Publishing House; 2008:457.Google Scholar
- 3.Qin YQ, Huang ZS. The related research between Helicobacter Pylori infection and primary liver. China Med Pharm (Chin) 2011;1:47.Google Scholar
- 5.Huang ZS. Advances in anti-hepato cellular carcinoma of arsenic trioxide. Lishizhen Med Materia Med Res (Chin) 2007;18:2421.Google Scholar
- 6.Yang C, Jin KY. Research progress of treatment of traditional Chinese medicine for liver cancer. J Liaoning Univ Tradit Chin Med (Chin) 2010;12:234–236.Google Scholar
- 7.Wang JR, Lai RS. The role of Bc1-2 and Bax as well as NF-kB on esophageal equamous cell carcinoma apoptosis induced by Aidi Injection. J Liaoning Univ Tradit Chin Med (Chin) 2010;12:54–56.Google Scholar
- 8.Zhu SJ, Jia LQ, Li PW. An experimental study of the antiangiogenesis effect of Aidi Injection. Chin J Exp Tradit Med Formulae (Chin) 2008;14:55–57.Google Scholar
- 9.Peng A, Chen MZ, Xu FZ, Shen DL. The research of differentiation of BEL-7402 human hepatocarcinoma cells Induced by Aidi Injection. Jiangxi J Tradit Chin Med (Chin) 2010;41:38–39.Google Scholar
- 10.Geng WF. The pharmacological effects and clinical evaluation of Aidi Injection. Chin J Modern Drug Application (Chin) 2009;3:149–150.Google Scholar
- 11.Zhu GY, Li DH, Zhang SF, Li XR. Clinical research progress of Aidi Injection. Acta Chin Med Pharm (Chin) 2010;38:123–127.Google Scholar
- 12.Qiao G, Zhao MH, Zheng LL, Zhang XJ, Lv Q, Zhang JG, et al. The observation of short-term response of primary liver cancer treated with Aidi Injection combined with proton radiation. World Health Digest (Chin) 2007;7:165–167.Google Scholar
- 13.Liu JH. 35 cases of advanced primary hepatocarcinoma treated with Aidi Injection combined with chemotherapy. Fujian J Tradit Chin Med (Chin) 2006;37:37–38.Google Scholar
- 14.Gou AL, Wu YB. 27 cases of advanced primary hepatocarcinoma treated with Aidi Injection combined with chemoembolization. Jiangxi J Tradit Chin Med (Chin) 2008;39:24.Google Scholar
- 15.Lv XC. Clinical study on treatmeant of primary liver cancer with portal vein tumor thrombus by compositive integrated traditional chinese and clinical medicine. China J Modern Med (Chin) 2008;18:3163–3167.Google Scholar
- 16.Wu YG, Tao WP. Effects observation of mid-late primary liver cancer treated with Aidi Injection. Herald Med (Chin) 2001;20:620.Google Scholar
- 17.Meng SX. Clinical observation of primary liver cancer treated with Aidi Injection combined with transcatheter arterial chemoembolization. J Emergency in Tradit Chin Med (Chin) 2008;17:1523–1524.Google Scholar
- 18.Yue ZD, Zhou L, Liu FQ, Zhaon HW, Wei L. Clinical observation of primary liver cancer treated with Aidi Injection combined with CT mediated radiofrequency ablation. Chin J Clin Pharm (Chin) 2010;26:77–79.Google Scholar
- 19.Zhang CZ, Wang JS. Clinial observation of prmiary liver caner treated with Aidi Injetion combined with little dose chemotherapy. J Base Clin Oncol (Chin) 2007;20:143–144.Google Scholar
- 20.Zhang GS, Zhang WH, Ma LZ, Zhang C, Wang YL, Li YL. Clinical study on transcatheter arterial chemoembolization and Aidi Injection in treatment of primary hepatocellular carcinoma. Modern Prevent Med (Chin) 2012;39:1253–1255.Google Scholar
- 21.Shi NY, Wang ZY. Effects of Aidi Injection for treating advanced liver cancer in 35 cases. Tradit Med (Chin) 2011;20:96–97.Google Scholar
- 22.Li W, Li DW. Application of Aidi Injetion in interventional treatment of liver cancer. Modern Sci (Chin) 2009;277.Google Scholar
- 23.Li RC. Therapeutic effects of Aidi Injection for treatment of advanced liver cancer. J Chengdu Med Coll (Chin) 2012;7:641–642.Google Scholar
- 25.Wang T. Effects observation of senile hepatic carcinoma treated with Aidi Injection combined with transcatheter arterial chemotherapy. J Gansu Coll Tradit Chin Med (Chin) 2004;21:19–20.Google Scholar
- 26.Wang LJ, Dong YQ, Li XD, Ma M, Zhang SC, Zhang HZ. Effects observation of hepatic carcinoma treated with Aidi Injection combined with FAP chemotherapy. Chin Famous Doctor Forum (Chin) 2005:33–34.Google Scholar
- 27.Cheng HW, Luo ML, Jiang T, Qing L, Ran TB, He M. Effect of Aidi Injection combined with FOLFOX4 chemotherapy in the treatment of primary liver cancer. Modern Oncol (Chin) 2012;20:777–779.Google Scholar
- 28.Hu ZC, Chen SM, Lu GM, Li YJ. Short-term effect analysis of advanced primary liver cancer treated with Aidi Injection. Youjiang Med J (Chin) 2011;39:424–425.Google Scholar
- 29.Dong HT, He YH, LU WP, Zhao W. 33 cases of clinical observation of hepatocellular carcinoma treated with Aidi Injection combined with transcatheter arterial chemoembolization. Chin J Inform Tradit Chin Med (Chin) 2007;14:62–63.Google Scholar
- 30.Dong HT, Guan NB, Zhao W, Tian M, Chen LZ, Lu WP, et al. Clinical efficacy of Aidi Injection combined with transcatheter arterial chemoembolization in 92 patients with primary hepatic carcinoma. Chin J New Drugs (Chin) 2008;17:1703–1706.Google Scholar
- 31.Xu YQ, Ding R, Xu JW, Luo Y. 32 cases of clinical observation of hepatocellular carcinoma treated with Aidi Injection combined with interventional therapy. Lishizhen Med Mater Med Res (Chin) 2007;18:2238–2239.Google Scholar
- 32.Tan XY, Gong HW. Clinical study of Aidi Injection combined with transcather hepatic arterial chemoembolization in the treatment of primary liver cancer. Cancer Res Prevent Treat (Chin) 2005;32:313–314.Google Scholar
- 33.Ayixiamu GL, Liu J. Clinical efficacy of Aidi Injection combined with transcateter arterial cemoembolization in 108 patients with prmiary hepatic carcinoma. J Modern Oncol (Chin) 2011;19:111–114.Google Scholar
- 35.Huang J. 60 cases of clinical observation of advanced hepatocellular carcinoma treated with Aidi Injection. J Guiyang Coll Tradit Chin Med (Chin) 2009,31:54–55.Google Scholar