Rotorcraft with a 3DOF Rigid Manipulator: Quaternion-based Modeling and Real-time Control Tolerant to Multi-body Couplings
This paper proposes a simple solution for the stabilization of a mini-quadcopter carrying a 3DoF (degrees of freedom) manipulator robot in order to enhance its achievable workspace and application profile. Since the motion of the arm induces torques which degrade the stability of the system, in the present work, we consider the stabilization of both subsystems: the quadcopter and the robotic arm. The mathematical model of the system is based on quaternions. Likewise, an attitude control law consisting of a bounded quaternion-based feedback stabilizes the quadcopter to a desired attitude while the arm is evolving. The next stage is the translational dynamics which is simplified for control (nonlinear) design purposes. The aforementioned controllers are based on saturation functions whose stability is explicitly proved in the Lyapunov sense. Finally, experimental results and a statistical study validate the proposed control strategy.
KeywordsObserver-based control quaternion and Newton-Euler modeling bounded-input control aerial manipulator disturbance rejection
This work was supported by CONACYT-Mexico, LabEx PERSYVAL-Lab (No. ANR-11-LABX-0025) and Equipex ROBOTEX (No. ANR-10-EQPX-44-01).
- D. Mellinger, M. Shomin, N. Michael, V. Kumar. Cooperative grasping and transport using multiple quadrotors. In Proceedings of International Symposium on Distributed Autonomous Robotic Systems, Springer, Lausanne, Switzerland, pp. 545–558, 2010.Google Scholar
- M. Mohammadi, A. Franchi, D. Barcelli, D. Prattichizzo. Cooperative aerial tele-manipulation with haptic feedback. In Proceedings of IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, Daejeon, South Korea, pp. 5092–5098, 2016. Doi: 10.1109/IROS.2016.7759747.Google Scholar
- M. Orsag, C. Korpela, S. Bogdan, P. Oh. Lyapunov based model reference adaptive control for aerial manipulation. In Proceedings of International Conference on Unmanned Aircraft Systems, IEEE, Atlanta, USA, pp. 966–973, 2013. DOI: 10.1109/ICUAS.2013.6564783.Google Scholar
- A. E. Jimenez-Cano, J. Martin, G. Heredia, A. Ollero, R. Cano. Control of an aerial robot with multi-link arm for assembly tasks. In Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, Karlsruhe, Germany, pp. 4916–4921, 2013. DOI: 10.1109/ICRA.2013. 6631279.Google Scholar
- S. Kim, S. Choi, H. J. Kim. Aerial manipulation using a quadrotor with a two DOF robotic arm. In Proceedings of IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, Tokyo, Japan, pp. 4990 4995, 2013. DOI: 10.1109/IROS.2013.6697077.Google Scholar
- J. Thomas, G. Loianno, J. Polin, K. Sreenath, V. Kumar. Toward autonomous avian-inspired grasping for micro aerial vehicles. Bioinspiration and Biomimetics, vol. 9, no. 2, Article number 025010, 2014. DOI: 10.1088/1748-3182/9/2/025010.Google Scholar
- B. Yuksel, G. Buondonno, A. Franchi. Differential flatness and control of protocentric aerial manipulators with any number of arms and mixed rigid-/elastic-joints. In Proceedings of IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, Daejeon, South Korea, pp. 561–566, 2016. DOI: 10.1109/IROS.2016.7759109.Google Scholar
- J. F. Guerrero-Castellanos, N. Marchand, N. Hably, S. Lesecq, J. Delamare. Bounded attitude control of rigid bodies: Real-time experimentation to a quadrotor minihelicopter. Control Engineering Practice, vol. 19, no. 8, pp. 790–797, 2011. DOI: 10.1016/j.conengprac.2011.04. 004.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- A. Alaimo, V. Artale, C. Milazzo, A. Ricciardello, L. Trefiletti. Mathematical modeling and control of a hexacopter. In Proceedings of International Conference on Unmanned Aircraft Systems, IEEE, Atlanta, USA, pp. 1043–1050, 2013. DOI: 10.1109/ICUAS.2013.6564793.Google Scholar
- S. Cho. Dynamics and Control of Underactuated Multibody Spacecraft, Ph. D. dissertation, University of Michigan, USA, 2002.Google Scholar
- R. Cruz-Jose, J. F. Guerrero-Castellanos, W. F. Guerrero-Sánchez, J. J. Oliveros-Oliveros. Global stabilizarion of a VTOL mini aircraft. In rocedings of the National Conference of Automatic Control, Campeche, Mexico, pp. 180–185, 2012.Google Scholar
- E. N. Johnson, S. K. Kannan. Nested saturation with guaranteed real poles. In Proceedings of American Control Conference, IEEE, Denver, USA, vol. 1, pp. 497–502, 2003. DOI: 10.1109/ACC.2003.1239062.Google Scholar
- VICON, [Online], Available: https://doi.org/www.vicon.com/products/camera-systems.
- Build, run, and test real-time applications, [Online], Available: https://doi.org/fr.mathworks.com/products/simulink-realtime/, December 2017.
- E-flite RC, [Online], Available: https://doi.org/www.horizonhobby.com/content/e-flite-rc.