An Energy-based Nonlinear Coupling Control for Offshore Ship-mounted Cranes
This paper proposes a novel nonlinear energy-based coupling control for an underactuated offshore ship-mounted crane, which guarantees both precise trolley positioning and payload swing suppressing performances under external sea wave disturbance. In addition to having such typical nonlinear underactuated property, as it is well known, an offshore ship-mounted crane also suffers from much unexpected persistent disturbances induced by sea waves or currents, which, essentially different from an overhead crane fixed on land, cause much difficulty in modeling and controller design. Inspired by the desire to achieve appropriate control performance against those challenging factors, in this paper, through carefully analyzing the inherent mechanism of the nonlinear dynamics, we first construct a new composite signal to enhance the coupling behavior of the trolley motion as well as the payload swing in the presence of ship′s roll motion disturbance. Based on which, an energy-based coupling control law is presented to achieve asymptotic stability of the crane control system′s equilibrium point. Without any linearization of the complex nonlinear dynamics, unlike traditional feedback controllers, the proposed control law takes a much simpler structure independent of the system parameters. To support the theoretical derivations and to further verify the actual control performance, Lyapunov-based mathematical analysis as well as numerical simulation/experimental results are carried out, which clarify the feasibility and superior performance of the proposed method over complicated disturbances.
KeywordsEnergy-based control offshore ship-mounted cranes Lyapunov methods underactuated nonlinear control systems
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
This work was supported by National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 11372144), National Science Fund for Distinguished Young Scholars of China (No. 61325017), and National Science Foundation of Tianjin.
- Y. M. Wu, N. Sun, Y. C. Fang, D. K. Liang. An increased nonlinear coupling motion controller for underactuated multi-TORA systems: Theoretical design and hardware experimentation. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics: Systems, 2017, to be published. DOI: 10.1109/TSMC.2017.2723478.Google Scholar
- N. Sun, Y. M. Wu, Y. C. Fang, H. Chen. A new triplestage stabilizing control method for two-wheeled inverted pendulum robots. In Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Real-time Computing and Robotics, Angkor Wat, Cambodia, pp. 27–32, 2016. DOI: 10.1109/RCAR.2016.7783996.Google Scholar
- N. Sun, Y. C. Fang, H. Chen, B. Lu, Y. M. Fu. Slew/translation positioning and swing suppression for 4DOF tower cranes with parametric uncertainties: Design and hardware experimentation. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 63, no. 10, pp. 6407–6418, 2016. DOI: 10.1109/TIE.2016.2587249.Google Scholar
- W. Sun, W. X. Yuan, Y. Q. Wu. Adaptive tracking control of mobile manipulators with affine constraints and under-actuated joints. International Journal of Automation and Computing, 2016, to be published. DOI: 10.1007/s11633-015-0934-6.Google Scholar
- D. Kim, Y. Park. 3-Dimensional position control scheme for mobile harbor crane. In Proceedings of the 15th International Conference on Control, Automation and Systems, Busan, South Korea, pp. 2058–2061, 2015. DOI: 10.1109/ICCAS.2015.7364707.Google Scholar
- Q. H. Ngo, K. S. Hong. Sliding-mode antisway control of an offshore container crane. IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 201–209, 2012. DOI: 10.1109/TMECH.2010.2093907.Google Scholar
- N. P. Nguyen, T. N. Phan, Q. H. Ngo. Autonomous offshore container crane system using a fuzzy-PD logic controller. In Proceedings of the 16th International Conference on Control, Automation and Systems, Gyeongju, South Korea, pp. 1093–1098, 2016. DOI: 10.1109/ICCAS.2016.7832447.Google Scholar
- N. Sun, Y. M. Wu, Y. C. Fang, H. Chen. Nonlinear antiswing control for crane systems with double-pendulum swing effects and uncertain parameters: Design and experiments. IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering, 2017, to be published. DOI: 10.1109/TASE. 2017.2723539.Google Scholar
- N. Sun, Y. C. Fang, Y. M. Wu, H. Chen. Adaptive positioning and swing suppression control of underactuated cranes exhibiting double-pendulum dynamics: Theory and experimentation. In Proceedings of Youth Academic Annual Conference of Chinese Association of Automation, Wuhan, China, pp. 87–92, 2016. DOI: 10.1109/YAC.2016. 7804870.Google Scholar
- B. Lu, Y. C. Fang, N. Sun. A new sliding-mode like nonlinear controller for overhead cranes with smooth control inputs. In Proceedings of American Control Conference, Boston, USA, pp. 252–257, 2016. DOI: 10.1109/ACC.2016. 7524924.Google Scholar
- M. Yayla, A. T. Kutay. Adaptive control algorithm for linear systems with matched and unmatched uncertainties. In Proceedings of the 55th Conference on Decision and Control, Las Vegas, USA, pp. 2975–2980, 2016. DOI: 10.1109/CDC.2016.7798713.Google Scholar
- G. C. Yang, J. Y. Yao, G. G. Le, D. W. Ma. Asymptotic output tracking control of electro-hydraulic systems with unmatched disturbances. IET Control Theory & Applications, vol. 10, no. 18, pp. 2543–2551, 2016. DOI: 10.1049/iet-cta.2016.0702.Google Scholar
- N. Sun, Y. C. Fang, H. Chen, Y. M. Wu, B. Lu. Nonlinear antiswing control of offshore cranes with unknown parameters and persistent ship-induced perturbations: Theoretical design and hardware experiments. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 65, no. 3, pp. 2629–2641, 2018. DOI: 10.1109/TIE.2017.2767523.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- N. Sun, Y. C. Fang, H. Chen, Y. M. Fu, B. Lu. Nonlinear stabilizing control for ship-mounted cranes with ship roll and heave movements: Design, analysis, and experiments. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics: Systems, 2017, to be published. DOI: 10.1109/TSMC. 2017.2700393.Google Scholar
- N. Sun, Y. C. Fang, H. Chen, B. Lu. Energy-based control of double pendulum cranes. In Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Cyber Technology in Automation, Control, and Intelligent Systems, Shenyang, China, pp. 258–263, 2015. DOI: 10.1109/CYBER.2015.7287945.Google Scholar
- Y. Z. Qian, Y. C. Fang. Dynamics analysis of an offshore ship-mounted crane subject to sea wave disturbances. In Proceedings of the 12th World Congress on Intelligent Control and Automation, Guilin, China, pp. 1251–1256, 2016. DOI: 10.1109/WCICA.2016.7578629.Google Scholar