STEP-based Feature Recognition System for B-spline Surface Features
The geometrical and topological information of 3D computer aided design (CAD) models should be represented as a neutral format file to exchange the data between different CAD systems. Exchange of 3D CAD model data implies that the companies must exchange complete information about their products, all the way from design, manufacturing to inspection and shipping. This information should be available to each relevant partner over the entire life cycle of the product. This led to the development of an international standard organization (ISO) neutral format file named as standard for the exchange of product model data (STEP). It has been observed from the literature, the feature recognition systems developed were identified as planar, cylindrical, conical and to some extent spherical and toroidal surfaces. The advanced surface features such as B-spline and its subtypes are not identified. Therefore, in this work, a STEP-based feature recognition system is developed to recognize B-spline surface features and its sub-types from the 3D CAD model represented in AP203 neutral file format. The developed feature recognition system is implemented in Java programming language and the product model data represented in STEP AP203 format is interpreted through Java standard data access interface (JSDAI). The developed system could recognize B-spline surface features such as B-Spline surface with knots, quasi uniform surface, uniform surface, rational surface and Bezier surface. The application of extracted B-spline surface features information is discussed with reference to the toolpath generation for STEP-NC (STEP AP238).
KeywordsFeature recognition 3D computer aided design (CAD) model geometrical information standard for the exchange of product model data (STEP) AP203 Java standard data access interface (JSDAI)
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- E. A. Nasr, A. K. Kamrani. Computer-based Design and Manufacturing: An Information-based Approach, Boston, USA: Springer Science+Business Media, LLC, 2007.Google Scholar
- Industrial Automation Systems and Integration–Product Data Representation and Exchange–Part 203: Application Protocol: Configuration Controlled 3D Design of Mechanical Parts and Assemblies, ISO 10303–203, 2011.Google Scholar
- Industrial Automation Systems and Integration–Product Data Representation and Exchange–Part 242: Application Protocol: Managed Model-Based 3D Engineering, ISO 10303–242, 2014.Google Scholar
- Industrial Automation Systems and Integration–Product Data Representation and Exchange–Part 224: Application Protocol: Mechanical Product Definition for Process Planning Using Machining Features, ISO 10303–224, 2006.Google Scholar
- Industrial Automation Systems and Integration–Product Data Representation and Exchange–Part 238: Application Protocol: Application Interpreted Model for Computerized Numerical Controllers, ISO 10303–238, 2007.Google Scholar
- E. S. A. Nasar, A. A. Khan, A. M. Alahmari, H. M. A. Hussein. A feature recognition system using geometric reasoning. In Proceedings of International Conference on Manufacture of Lightweight Components, Elsevier, Germany, vol. 18, pp. 238–243, 2014. DOI: 10.1016/j.procir.2014.06.138.Google Scholar
- JSDAI. Java Standard Data Access Interface. [Online], Available: http://www.jsdai.net/, September 20, 2017.
- STEP. STEP Tools, Inc. [Online], Available: http://www.steptools.com/products/stdev/, September 20, 2017.