New 0D/1D Physical Approach for Modelling the Gas Dynamics Behavior Inside the Intake System of an Engine
- 46 Downloads
The competition among carmakers to introduce the most innovative solutions is growing day by day. Since few years, simulation is being used widely in automotive industries. Instead of building costly prototypes and expending fuel for doing tests on a real engine, simulation became a good solution before taking new decisions. Concerning the study of gas dynamics and pressure wave’s propagation in the intake system of an internal combustion engine, a precise modelling is needed in order to obtain good results. Unfortunately, the computational time for these simulations is considered as high compared to the real time.
The main objective of the new approach presented in this paper, is to reduce simulation time of models in the internal combustion engine simulation code, allowing them to accomplish many engine simulations faster than one-dimensional non-linear approach. A transfer function is defined to link directly the relative pressure and the air mass flow rate. In a second time, the model is included into an internal combustion engine simulation code. The results obtained with this code are compared to experimental ones which are measured on a one-cylinder engine test bench. A good agreement is obtained between the experimental results and the numerical one. The model was improved by adding a transfer function for temperature evolution. The convergence time is then reduced as well as the global simulation time of the model.
Keywordsgas dynamics compressible flow transfer function accuracy simulation time engine
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The work in this article is done in a joined International Teaching and Research Chair entitled “Innovative Intake and Thermo-management Systems” between MANN+HUMMEL and Ecole Centrale de Nantes.
- Ohata A., Ishida Y., Dynamic inlet pressure and volumetric efficiency of four cycle four cylinder engine, SAE Transactions 820407, 1982, 91(2).Google Scholar
- Takizawa M., Uno T., Oue T., Yura T., A study of gas exchange process simulation of an automotive multi cylinder Internal Combustion Engine, SAE paper 820410, Detroit, USA, 1982, 1663–1676.Google Scholar
- Blair G., Kirkpatrick S., Mackey D., Fleck R., Experimental validation of 1D modeling codes for a pipe system containing area discontinuities, SAE International Congress and Exposition, Detroit, MI, USA, 1995.Google Scholar
- Winterbone D., Pearson R., Theory of engine manifold design-Wave action methods for IC engine, London and Buery St Edmunds, U.K.: Professional Engineering Publishing Limited, 2000.Google Scholar
- Borel M., Les phénomènes d’ondes dans les moteurs, Publications de l’IFP, Editions TECHNIP, Paris, 2000.Google Scholar
- Meisner S., Sorenson S., Computer simulation of intake and exhaust manifold flow and heat transfer, SAE paper, Detroit, USA, 1986: 860242.Google Scholar
- Chevalier A., Müller M., Hendricks E., On the validity of mean value engine models during transiant operation, SAE transactions, 2000: 1571–1592.Google Scholar
- Mezher H., Chalet D., Migaud J., Raimbault V., Chesse P., Transfer matrix measurements for studying intake wave dynamics applied to charge air coolers with experimental engine validation in the frequency and time domains, Journal of Automobile Engineering, 2013, 227: 1348–1359.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Mezher H., Chalet D., Migaud J., Chesse P., Raimbault V., Transfer matrix computation wave action simulation in an internal combustion engine, ASME 2012 11th, Biennal Conference on Engineering Systems design and analysis, Nantes, France, July 2–4, 2012.Google Scholar
- Kao M., Moskowa J., Model-based engine fault detection using cylinder pressure estimates from nonlinear observers, 33rd Conference on decision and control, Lake Buena Vista, December 1994.Google Scholar
- Yassine M., Chalet D., Migaud J., High precision and time saving method for modelling the inlet manifold of an internal combustion engine, Fisita World Automotive Congress, Busan, South Korea, 2016.Google Scholar