Direct somatic embryogenesis and shoot regeneration from leaves and internodes of Pluchea lanceolata (DC.) C.B. Clarke
- 32 Downloads
Pluchea lanceolata (DC.) C.B. Clarke is a threatened native medicinal plant. Increasing the propagation of this plant will preserve the wild population and provide material for medicinal use. In vitro and field-collected shoots and leaves were tested for response to 2,4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid (2,4-D) and thidiazuron (TDZ), for initiation of direct shoot regeneration (DSR), or direct somatic embryogenesis (DSE). Leaves and internodes collected from field-grown plants produced only callus, while in vitro–raised shoots exhibited DSR and DSE on Murashige and Skoog (MS) medium with 2,4-D and TDZ. Direct shoot regeneration occurred on medium with TDZ from internode and leaf segments obtained from in vitro–developed shoots. In vitro–grown shoots were rooted on half-strength MS medium with 2 mg L−1 indole-3-butyric acid and acclimatized. Survival in natural conditions was 62.5% for DSE and 79% for DSR plantlets.
KeywordsAdventitious shoots Pluchea lanceolata Shoot buds Somatic embryo
Conceived and designed the experiments: MMK and MN. Trials conducted by MMK. Wrote the paper, analyzed the data: MMK and MN.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Arya D, Patni V (2013) Micropropagation of Pluchea lanceolata (Oliver & Hiern.) – a potent anti-arthritic medicinal herb. Int J Med Aromat Plant 3:55–60Google Scholar
- Arya D, Patni V, Kant U (2008) In vitro propagation and quercetin quantification in callus cultures of Rasna (Pluchea lanceolata Oliver & Hiern.). Indian J Biotechnol 7:383–387Google Scholar
- Hazarika BN (2003) Acclimatization of tissue-cultured plants. Curr Sci 85:1704–1712Google Scholar
- Kumar S, Narula A, Sharma MP, Srivastava PS (2004) In vitro propagation of Pluchea lanceolata, a medicinal plant, and effect of heavy metals and different aminopurines on quercetin content. In Vitro Cell Dev Biol–Plant 40:171–176. https://doi.org/10.1079/ivp2003490
- Murashige T, Skoog F (1962) A revised medium for rapid growth and bio assays with tobacco tissue cultures. Physiol Plant 15:473–497. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1399-3054.1962.tb08052.x CrossRefGoogle Scholar