Ensuring Security & Trust in a Post-Quantum Environment
- 13 Downloads
The wisdom of humanity is growing faster than ever. So too is the evolution of technologies in general. The benefits and consequences of innovations are increasingly impacting daily life. Security, decision-making, and trust are no exceptions to this development. Twenty-five years ago, the work of Shor demonstrated that the security of well-established technologies will be at risk as soon as quantum computing becomes a reality. This challenge is being partly addressed by the quest for ‘‘post-quantum’’ cryptographic techniques while, in part, it can be mitigated by preparing for agility when it comes to implementing cryptography. The focus of our paper is to develop alternative visions and needs for future research and development in order to ensure security and trust in a post-quantum environment.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1] .Einstein, A., B. Podolsky, N. Rosen, Phys. Rev. 47, 777 (1935).Google Scholar
- 2] .J. S. Bell: On the Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen paradox. In: Physics. Volume 1, No. 3, 1964, p. 195–200.Google Scholar
- 3.A. Aspect, J. Dalibard, G. Roger: Experimental Test of Bell’s Inequalities Using Time- Varying Analyzers. In: Physical Review Letters. Volume 49, No. 25, 1982, p. 1804–1807.Google Scholar
- 4.R. Ursin, F. Tiefenbacher, T. Schmitt-Manderbach, H. Weier, T. Scheidl, M. Lindenthal, B. Blauensteiner, T. Jennewein, J. Perdigues, P. Trojek, B. Ömer, M. Fürst, M. Meyenburg, J. Rarity, Z. Sodnik, C. Barbieri, H. Weinfurter, A. Zeilinger: Entanglement-based quantum communication over 144 km, Nature Physics 3, 481-486 (2007).Google Scholar
- 5.S. Wengerowsky, S. Koduru Joshi, F. Steinlechner, H. Hübel, R. Ursin: An entanglement-based wavelength-multiplexed quantum communication network, Nature 564, 225-228 (2018).Google Scholar
- 6.Qiang Zhang, Feihu Xu, Yu-Ao Chen, Cheng-Zhi Peng, Jian-Wei Pan: Large scale quantum key distribution: Challenges and solutions, Optical Express 26, 24260-24273 (2018).Google Scholar
- 7.P.W. Shor: Polynomial-time algorithms for prime factorization and discrete logarithms on a quantum computer, SIAM review, 41(2), 303-332 (1999).Google Scholar
- 8.F. Song, A. Yun: Quantum Security of NMAC and Related Constructions – PRF domain extension against quantum attacks, Annual International Cryptology Conference (2017) – Springer.Google Scholar
- 9.W. Fumy: Quantencomputer und die Zukunft der Kryptographie, DuD – Datenschutz und Datensicherheit 1/2017, 13-16.Google Scholar
- 10.NIST Post-Quantum Cryptography Standardization, www.csrc.nist.gov.
- 11] .C.H. Bennett, G.Brassard: Quantum cryptography: Public key distribution and coin tossing. In Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Computers, Systems and Signal Processing 175, 8 (1984)Google Scholar