Modern Surgical Techniques in Cytoreductive Surgery
A change in the cancer treatment paradigm has occurred in the last few years regarding management of peritoneal metastases (PM) from gastrointestinal and gynecological malignancies.1, 2 From being regarded as a terminal condition, advances in understanding tumor biology and peritoneal neoplastic dissemination have prompted3 that isolated PM can be considered a loco-regional entity.4, 5
Two large recent trials re-demonstrated the importance of complete cytoreductive surgery in ovarian and colorectal cancers, two of the most common malignancies that lead to peritoneal metastases.2, 5 Cytoreductive surgery, often confused with surgical “cherry-picking” or limited “debulking,” has rigorous technical and embryological underpinnings and a steep learning curve.
In this technique review, we present modern considerations and pitfalls associated with the performance of peritonectomy. It is important that surgeons familiarize themselves with modern techniques of peritonectomies in...
KeywordsPeritonectomy Cytoreductive surgery Peritoneal metastases Carcinomatosis
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 3.Baratti D, Kusamura S, Iusco D, Cotsoglou C, Guaglio M, Battaglia L, et al. Should a History of Extraperitoneal Disease Be a Contraindication to Cytoreductive Surgery and Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy for Colorectal Cancer Peritoneal Metastases? Diseases of the Colon & Rectum. 2018 Sep;61(9):1026–34.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Quenet F, Elias D, Roca L, Goéré D, Ghouti L, Pocard M, et al. A UNICANCER phase III trial of hyperthermic intra-peritoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC) for colorectal peritoneal carcinomatosis (PM): PRODIGE 7. JCO. American Society of Clinical Oncology; 2018 Jun 20;36(18_suppl):LBA3503–3.Google Scholar
- 7.FRCSI PJCC, PhD DPO. The mesentery: structure, function, and role in disease. The Lancet Gastroenterology & Hepatology. Elsevier Ltd; 2016 Oct 7;1(3):238–47.Google Scholar
- 10.Morita SY, Balch CM, Klimberg VS, Pawlik TM, Posner MC, Tanabe KK. Textbook of Complex General Surgical Oncology. McGraw-Hill Education / Medical; 2017. 1p.Google Scholar
- 11.Sugarbaker PH. Pont hepatique (hepatic bridge), an important anatomic structure in cytoreductive surgery. J Surg Oncol. 2010;30(101):251–2.Google Scholar