Improvement of image quality at CT and MRI using deep learning
Deep learning has been developed by computer scientists. Here, we discuss techniques for improving the image quality of diagnostic computed tomography and magnetic resonance imaging with the aid of deep learning. We categorize the techniques for improving the image quality as “noise and artifact reduction”, “super resolution” and “image acquisition and reconstruction”. For each category, we present and outline the features of some studies.
KeywordsDeep learning Image quality improvement Computed tomography Magnetic resonance imaging
Kazuo Awai received following research grant: Research Grant, Canon Medical systems, paid to the institution. Research Grant, Hitachi, paid to the institution.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The other authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 7.Kunimatsu A, Kunimatsu N, Yasaka K, Akai H, Kamiya K, Watadani T, et al. Machine learning-based texture analysis of contrast-enhanced MR imaging to differentiate between glioblastoma and primary central nervous system lymphoma. Magn Reson Med Sci. 2018. https://doi.org/10.2463/mrms.mp.2017-0178.Google Scholar
- 9.Cavigelli L, Hager P, Benini L. CAS-CNN: a deep convolutional neural network for image compression artifact suppression. Int Jt Conf Neural Netw (IJCNN). 2017;2017:752–9.Google Scholar
- 10.Svoboda P, Hradis M, Barina D, Zemcik P. Compression artifacts removal using convolutional neural networks. J WSCG. 2016;24(2):63–72.Google Scholar
- 14.Ulyanov D, Vedaldi A, Lempitsky V. Deep image prior. 2017. arXiv:1711.10925v2.
- 31.Higaki T, Nishimaru E, Nakamura Y, Tatsugami F, Zhou J, Yu Z, et al. Radiation dose reduction in CT using deep learning based reconstruction (DLR): a phantom study. In: Proceeding of the 24th European congress of radiology. 2018. https://doi.org/10.1594/ecr2018/c-1656.
- 32.Nakamura Y, Higaki T, Tatsugami F, Zhou J, Yu Z, Akino N, et al. Deep learning based reconstruction at CT: initial clinical trial targeting hypovascular hepatic metastases. Radiol Artif Intell. 2018. (Accepted).Google Scholar
- 33.Tatsugami F, Higaki T, Nakamura Y, Yu Z, Zhou J, Lu Y, et al. Improvement of image quality at coronary CT angiography by using a deep learning based reconstruction. Eur Radiol. 2018. (Accepted).Google Scholar