Teleseismic moment tensors of the 5 April 2017, Mw6.1, Fariman, northeast Iran, earthquake
- 97 Downloads
On 5 April 2017, an Mw6.1 earthquake occurred about 50 km NE of the city of Fariman, northeast Iran. Several hundreds of aftershocks including two M > 5 events followed the main shock. The quake struck numerous towns and villages across the region, killed one person, and injured tens of people. Many schools and universities were evacuated around the epicentral area, and a lot of people left their residences for a few days. The northeastward motion of the central Iran toward Eurasia influences the epicentral region. Regional movements occur by shortening on the northwest-trending reverse faults. We studied teleseismic source parameters of this earthquake by applying different moment tensor decomposition methods including grid search for the nodal planes of the best double couple; linear inversion for a deviatoric moment tensor; grid search for the best double-couple moment tensor; grid search for the best deviatoric moment tensor; and grid search for the best full moment. Based on the moment tensors, the event occurred on a reverse fault following the regional compressional motion. The results of this study will provide useful information for future regional seismotectonic investigations and are of significant use for applications such as regional seismic hazard evaluations.
KeywordsNodal planes Moment tensor inversion Double couple Deviatoric moment tensor Full moment tensor
I would like to thank Sean Ford and anonymous reviewers for their constructive comments and valuable suggestions. I acknowledge Ramón Zúñiga (co-editor-in-chief), Zbigniew Wiśniewski (managing editor), and Eleftheria Papadimitriou (chief editor) for their helps. I acknowledge IRSC, IRIS, ISC, GCMT, and USGS for providing their data for analysis. Computer programs in seismology (Herrmann 2013), moment decomposition code (Vavrycuk 2015a), and GMT (Wessel and Smith 1995) were used for computations and drawing some figures.
- Ashtari Jafari M (2008) Lessons learned from the Bam urban earthquake. In: 14th world conference on earthquake engineering. Beijing, China, https://doi.org/10.13140/rg.2.1.1892.9125
- Ashtari Jafari M (2016) Lessons learned from the recent earthquakes in Iran. In: D’Amico S (ed) Earthquakes and their impact on society. Springer International Publishing. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-21753-6_18
- Berberian M, Ghorashi M, Shoja-Taheri J, Talebian M (2000) Seismotectonic and earthquake-fault hazard investigations in the Mashhad-Neyshabour region. Report No. 72, Geological Survey of IranGoogle Scholar
- Dufumier H, Riverra L (1997) On the resolution of the isotropic component in moment tensor inversion. Geophys J Int 131:595–606. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-246X.1997.tb06601.x CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Montagner JP, Kennett BLN (1996) How to reconcile body-wave and normal-mode reference earth models. Geophys J Int 125:229–248. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-246X.1996.tb06548.x CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Shabanian E, Bellier O, Siame L, Arnaud N, Abbassi MR, Cocheme JJ (2009) New tectonic configuration in NE Iran: active strike-slip faulting between the Kopeh Dagh and Binalud mountains. Tectonics, 28, TC5002, https://doi.org/10.1029/2008tc002444