Two New Ursane-type Triterpenoid Glycosides from Ilex Cornuta
- 20 Downloads
Ilex cornuta (I. cornuta) is a traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) that has been used in clinical practice for hundreds of years. In order to provide more information about the chemical basis of its pharmacological effects, phytochemical investigation on the roots of I. cornuta was conducted in this study. The roots of the plant were firstly extracted with 95% EtOH, and then the crude was partitioned with petroleum ether, EtOAc and n-butyl alcohol. Different chromatographies were employed to isolate the crude step by step and the crude was further purified by semipreparative high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC). As a result, two new triterpenoid saponins (1, 2), together with 12 known compounds (3–14), were isolated from the roots of I. cornuta. Their structures were determined based on nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR), mass spectrum (MS) technologies, chemical reactions as well as gas chromatography (GC). Compounds 4, 6, 8, 11, 12 and 13 were isolated from this genus for the first time. The structures of compounds 1 and 2 were determined as 3β-O-α-D-xylopyranosyl-(1→3)-α-L-2-O-acetylarabinopyranosyl-(1→2)-β-D glucopyranosyl-23-hydroxyl-20α(H)-urs-12-en-28-oic acid 28-O-β-D-glucopyranosyl ester (1) and 3β-O-α-D-xylopyranosly-(1→3)-α-L-2-O-acetylarabinopyranosyl-(1→2)-β-Dglucopyranosyl- 19α,23-dihydroxyl-20α(H)-urs-12-en-28-oic acid 28-O-β-D-glucopyranosyl ester (2).
Key wordsIlex cornuta aquifoliaceae triterpenoids
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Fan LL, Zhong C, Feng YL, et al. Chemical constituents in roots of Ilex cornuta. Chin Tradit Herb Drugs (Chinese), 2011,42(2):234–236Google Scholar
- 2.Chen Y, Li KS, Xie TG. Hypotensive action of the extract of Kudingcha dongqingye (Ilex kudingcha). Chin Tradit Herb Drugs (Chinese), 1995,26(5): 250–252Google Scholar
- 7.Li WL, Wu JL, Ren BR, et al. Chemical constituents of Chinese holly (Ilex cornuta Lindl. ex Paxt.). Zhiwu Ziyuan Yu Huanjing Xuebao (Chinese), 2003,12(2):1–5Google Scholar
- 10.Li WL, Wu JL, Ren BR, et al. Pharmacological action of 3 compounds isolated from Ilex cornuta Lindl. ex Paxt. for angiocardiopathy. Zhiwu Ziyuan Yu Huanjing Xuebao (Chinese), 2003,12(3):6–10Google Scholar
- 14.Pei YH, Hua Hm, Li ZL, et al. Application of nuclear magnetic resonance to the determination of the configuration of glycoside bond. Acta Pharm Sinica, 2011,46(2):127–131Google Scholar
- 19.Liu JB, Zhang Y, Cui BS, et al. Chemical constituents from twigs of Myricaria bracteata. Chin Tradit Herb Drugs (Chinese), 2013,44(19):2661–2665Google Scholar
- 20.Lei T, Jiang HY, Hu Y, et al. Chemical Constituents of Parabarium huaitingii. Chin J Nat Med (Chinese), 2011,9(3):185–187Google Scholar
- 22.Nan ZD, Zhao MB, Jiang Y, et al. Chemical constituents from stems of Cistanche deserticola cultured in Tarim desert. Chin J Chin Mater Med (Chinese), 2013,38(16):2665–2670Google Scholar