Performance dependence of electrochemical capacitor on surface morphology for vertically aligned graphene nanosheets
- 9 Downloads
“Vertically aligned graphene nanosheets” are a type of graphitic carbon nanostructure with an interconnected network of perpendicularly aligned graphene nanosheets. In this study, the thin films of this material are deposited on stainless steel substrates using electron cyclotron resonance–based plasma-enhanced chemical vapor deposition. The variation of the electrochemical performance of the vertically aligned graphene nanosheets with the change in surface morphology is analyzed. The samples with different surface geometries offer different values of specific capacitances. The sample with nanopores between the graphene nanosheets of largest diameter and of most open nature delivers the highest specific electrode capacitance of 0.98 mF cm−2 (11.09 F cm−3) at a current density 0.88 mA cm−2 while the corresponding value for the sample with the smallest gap between nanosheets is of 0.49 mF cm−2 (6.67 F cm−3). The results point out at a direct correlation between surface morphology and electrochemical performance of the material.
KeywordsElectrochemical capacitors Carbon nanostructure Graphene Vertical alignment ECR plasma
A part of this research is performed using Micro and Nano Characterisation Facilities (MNCF) at Centre of Nanoscience and Engineering (CeNSE), Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India.
Conceived the plan: MG, GMR; performed the experiments: MG; data analysis: MG, AR; wrote the paper: MG, GMR.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 6.Gong J, Li J, Yang J, Zhao S, Yang Z, Zhang K, Bao J, Pang H, Han M (2018) High-performance flexible in-plane micro-supercapacitors based on vertically aligned CuSe@Ni(OH)2 hybrid nanosheet films. ACS Appl Mater Interfaces 10:38341–38349. https://doi.org/10.1021/acsami.8b12543 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Aradilla D, Delaunay M, Sadki S, Gerard JM, Bidan G Vertically aligned graphene nanosheets on silicon using an ionic liquid electrolyte: towards high-performance on-chip micro-supercapacitors. J Mater Chem A 3(2015):19254–19262. https://doi.org/10.1039/c5ta04578a
- 13.D. Premathilake, R. A. Outlaw, S. G. Parler, S. M. Butler, J. R. Miller, Electric double layer capacitors for ac filtering made from vertically oriented graphene nanosheets on aluminium. Carbon . 111 (2017) 231–237. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.carbon.2016.09.080
- 17.Ren G, Pan X, Bayne S, Fan Z (2014) Kilohertz ultrafast electrochemical supercapacitors based on perpendicularly-oriented graphene grown inside of nickel foam, 94–101. Carbon 71. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.carbon.2014.01.017
- 23.Seo DH, Han ZJ, Kumar S, Ostrikov K (2013) Structure-controlled, vertical graphene-based, binder-free electrodes from plasma-reformed butter enhance supercapacitor performance, 1316–1323. Adv Energy Mater 3. https://doi.org/10.1002/aenm.201300431
- 24.Q. Liao, N. Li, H. Cui, C. Wang, Vertically-aligned graphene@MnO nanosheets as binder-free high-performance electrochemical pseudocapacitor electrodes, Journal of Material Chemistry A 1 (2013) 13715–13720. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1039/c3ta13102e
- 29.Deenamma KV, Rao GM (2000) Electron cyclotron resonance plasma source for ion assisted deposition of thin films. Rev Sci Instrum 71. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.1150225
- 33.B. Kim, H. Chung, W. Kim High-performance supercapacitors based on vertically aligned carbon nanotubes and nonaqueous electrolytes, Nanotechnology 23 (2012) 155401 (8pp). DOI: https://doi.org/10.1088/0957-4484/23/15/155401
- 34.Lin Y, Zhang H, Deng W, Zhang D, Li N, Wu Q, He C (2018) In-situ growth of high-performance all-solid-state electrode for flexible supercapacitors based on carbon woven fabric/ polyaniline/ graphene composite. J Power Sources 384:278–286. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2018.03.003 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 35.M. A. MacDonald, H.. Andreas, Method for equivalent circuit determination for electrochemical impedance spectroscopy data of protein adsorption on solid surfaces, Electrochimica Acta 129 (2014) 290–299. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.electacta.2014.02.046
- 37.Roy A, Ray A, Saha S, Ghosh M, Das T, Satpati B, Nandi M, Das S (2018) NiO-CNT composite for high-performance supercapacitor electrode and oxygen evolution reaction. Electrochim Acta 283. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.electacta.2018.06.154
- 39.Ray A, Roy A, Ghosh M, Ramos-Ramón JA, Saha S, Pal U, Bhattacharya SK, Das S (2019) Study on charge storage mechanism in working electrodes fabricated by sol-gel derived spinel NiMn2O4nanoparticles for supercapacitor application. Appl Surf Sci 463:513–552. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apsusc.2018.08.259 CrossRefGoogle Scholar