Plasticized solid polymer electrolyte based on natural polymer blend incorporated with lithium perchlorate for electrical double-layer capacitor fabrication
- 5 Downloads
A plasticized solid polymer electrolyte system is prepared using polymer blend of methyl cellulose–potato starch with lithium perchlorate (LiClO4) as dopant salt and glycerol as plasticizer. Transport properties of the electrolytes are investigated using electrical impedance spectroscopy (EIS). By applying a method proposed by Arof et al. which was found to be suitable for both Arrhenius and Vogel–Tammann–Fulcher (VTF) type of electrolytes, the number density (n), diffusion coefficient (D), and mobility (μ) of ions are found to be influenced by the concentration of glycerol. From ion and electron transference number analysis, it is verified that ions are the main charge carriers. Linear sweep voltammetry (LSV) verifies the suitability of the most conductive electrolyte to be employed in the carbon-based symmetric electrical double-layer capacitor (EDLC) fabrication. The EDLC has been tested using the galvanostatic charge–discharge and cyclic voltammetry (CV) techniques. The specific capacitance (Csp) of the electrode using CV at a sweep rate of 2 mV s−1 is found to be 61.58 F g−1. The EDLC has been tested for 1000 charge–discharge cycles with the highest Csp value of 28.04 F g−1.
KeywordsMethyl cellulose–starch blend Polymer electrolyte Lithium perchlorate Transport properties Electrical double-layer capacitor
The authors would like to thank the Universiti Teknologi PETRONAS for supporting this work through YUTP grant (grant no. 015LC0-048) and Ministry of Education for Fundamental Research Grant Scheme (FRGS/1/2018/STG07/UNIKL/02/8).
- 4.Rajendran S, Mahendran O, Krishnaveni K (2003) Effect of CeO2 on conductivity of PMMA/PEO polymer blend electrolytes. J New Mater Electrochem Syst 6:25–28Google Scholar
- 15.Yusof YM (2017) Characteristics of corn starch/chitosan blend green polymer electrolytes complexed with ammonium iodide and its application in energy devices. PhD Dissertation, University of MalayaGoogle Scholar
- 24.Kartha SA (2013) A preparation of B2O3-Li2O-MO (M = Pb, Zn) glass thin films and study of thin properties. Dissertation, Mahatma Gandhi UniversityGoogle Scholar
- 31.Noor ISM (2016) Characterization and transport properties of PVA–LiBOB based polymer electrolytes with application in dye sensitized solar cells, PhD Dissertation, University of MalayaGoogle Scholar
- 37.Jinisha B, Anilkumar KM, Manoj M, Pradeep VS, Jayalekshmi S (2017) Development of a novel type of solid polymer electrolyte for solid state lithium battery applications based on lithium enriched poly (ethylene oxide) (PEO)/poly (vinyl pyrrolidone) (PVP) blend polymer. Electrochim Acta 235:210–222CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 45.Bandaranayake CM, Weerasinghe SS, Vidanapathirana KP, Perera KS (2015) A cyclic voltammetry study of a gel polymer electrolyte based redox-capacitor. Sri Lankan J Phys 7:1–11Google Scholar
- 47.Ranaweera CK, Kahol PK, Ghimire M, Mishra SR, Gupta RK (2017) Orange-peel-derived carbon: designing sustainable and high-performance supercapacitor electrodes. C 3:1–17Google Scholar