Simple and cost-effective sonochemical preparation of ternary NZnO–Mn2O3@rGO nanohybrid: a potential electrode material for supercapacitor and ammonia sensing
- 90 Downloads
The present work deals with a simple and cost-effective sonochemical assisted synthesis of binary transition metal oxide (BTMOs) (NZnO–Mn2O3) and NZnO–Mn2O3@rGO ternary nanohybrid using a imidazole derivative as an organic precursor aimed at the application in supercapacitor and sensing of ammonia in aqueous medium. Morphological analysis using various physicochemical techniques, like FESEM, TEM, XRD, and BET, revealed surface enriched property (high surface area and porous nature) with uniform decoration of binary metal oxides (NZnO–Mn2O3) over reduced graphene oxide (rGO). Formation and synergistic interaction of nanohybrid materials were confirmed from FTIR and Raman analysis. Electrochemical measurements showed maximum capacitance performance via cyclic voltammetry (CV) achieved by ternary nanohybrid NZnO–Mn2O3@rGO (252.77 Fg−1 at scan rate 50 mV s−1) which is in good agreement with the charging–discharging (GCD) and electrochemical impedance spectroscopy (EIS) analysis. Further, the ternary nanohybrid material exhibited good sensing of ammonia in aqueous medium as indicated by continuous amperometric reponse with a lowest sensitivity of 0.47 ppm.
KeywordsNanohybrid Supercapacitor (SCs) Specific capacitance Sensor Porous
Benjamin Raj is thankful to Central University of Jharkhand, Ranchi (India) for the University fellowship to carry out the research work. The author is also thankful to CoE-GEET (Centre of Excellence in Green and Efficient Energy and Technology) Central University of Jharkhand, Ranchi (India) for providing instrumentation facility.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 3.Tiwari SK, Mishra RK, Ha SK, Huczko AJ (2018) Evolution of graphene oxide and graphene: from imagination to industrialization. Chem Nano Mat 4:598–620Google Scholar
- 7.Dhelipan M, Arunchander A, Sahu AK, Kalpana D (2016) Activated carbon from orange peels as supercapacitor electrode and catalyst support for oxygen reduction reaction in proton exchange membrane fuel cell. J Saudi Chem Soc 4(21):487–494Google Scholar
- 14.Mishra RK, Ha SK, Verma K, Tiwari SK (2018) Recent progress in selected bio-nanomaterials and their engineering applications: an overview. Journal of Science: Advanced Material and Devices 3:263–288Google Scholar
- 24.Wei C, Sun Y, Zhan N, Liu M, Zhao L, Cheng C, Zhang D (2017) Preparation of hierarchical MnCo2S4 nanotubes for high performance supercapacitors and non-enzymatic glucose sensors. Chem Select 2:11154–11159Google Scholar
- 29.Wang C, Cheng H, Sun Y, Lin Q, Zhang C (2015) Rapid sonochemical synthesis of luminescent and paramagnetic copper nanoclusters for bimodal bioimaging. Chem Nano Mat 1:27–31Google Scholar
- 32.Manigandan R, Giribabul K, Munusamy S, Kumar SP, Muthamizh S, Dhanasekaran A, Suresh R, Stephen A, Narayan V (2015) Manganese sesquioxide to trimanganese tetraoxide hierarchical hollow nanostructures: effect of gadolinium on structural, optical and magnetic properties. CrystEngComm 17:2886–2895CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 37.Browne MP, Nolan H, Twamley B, Duesberg GS, Colavita PE, Lyons MEG (2016) Thermally prepared Mn2O3/RuO2/Ru thin films a highly active catalysts for the oxygen evaluation reaction in alkaline media. Chem Aust 3:1847–1855Google Scholar
- 39.Nazari Y, Salem S (2017) Magnetisation of TiO2/reduced graphene oxide nano photocatalyst. International Proceedings of Chemical, Biological and Environmental Engineering 102:50–56Google Scholar
- 41.Barai HR, Banerjee AN, Hamnabard N, Joo SW (2016) Synthesis of amorphous manganese oxide nanoparticles-to-crystalline nanorods through a simple wet-chemical technique using K+ ions as a growth director and their morphology-controlled high performance supercapacitors applications. RSC Adv 6:78887–78908CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 47.Goikela E, Daffos B, Taberna PL, Simon P (2013) Synthesis of nanosized MnO2 prepared by the polyol method and its application in high power supercapacitors, mat. Renew Sustain Energ Rev 2:16Google Scholar
- 51.Yan Y, Wu B, Zheng C, Fang D (2012) Capacitive properties of mesoporous Mn-Co oxide derived from a mixed oxalate. Mater Sci Appl 3:377–383Google Scholar
- 57.Hazra SK, Basu S (2016) Graphene-oxide nano composite for chemical sensor applications. C 2:12Google Scholar
- 61.Samotaev NN, Podlepetsky BI, Vasiliev AA, Pisliakov AV, Sokolov AV (2013) Metal-oxide gas sensor high-selective to ammonia. Sens Syst 74:308–312Google Scholar
- 62.Sadanand P, Karuna KN (2015) An Au nanocomposite based chemiresistive ammonia sensor for health monitoring. ACS Sens 1:55–62Google Scholar
- 63.Qishu W, Yangong Z, Jiawen J, Jinxia W (2016) Gas sensing performance of ion-exchanged Y zeolites as an impedimetric ammonia sensor. Ionics 23(3):751–758Google Scholar
- 68.Mani V, Devasenathipathy R, Chen S-M, Kohilarani K, Ramachandran R (2015) A sensitive amperometric sensor for the determination of dopamine at graphene and bismuth nanocomposite film modified electrode. Int J Electrochem Sci 10:1199–1207Google Scholar