(SiO2)100-x-Nix (x = 2.5, 10.0) Composite-based photoanode with polymer gel electrolyte for increased dye-sensitized solar cell performance
- 1 Downloads
This work aims on the degradation performance of (SiO2)100-x-Nix (x = 2.5, 10.0) photoanodes incorporating with liquid and gel polymer electrolyte for dye-sensitized solar cell (DSSC). The silica doped with nickel and gel polymer electrolyte was prepared by sol-gel polymerization of tetraethyl orthosilicate and sol-gel polymerization of polyacrylonitrile (PAN), respectively. The utilization of PAN-based gel polymer electrolyte improved the value of open circuit voltage due to its high ionic conductivity and mechanical stability in DSSC. The (SiO2)90.0-Ni10.0-based DSSC utilizing PAN-based gel polymer electrolyte exhibited the highest power conversion efficiency of 2.96%. The field emission electron microscopy images show larger average particle size with greater porosity in the (SiO2)90.0-Ni10.0 thin film. Moreover, the Brunauer-Emmett-Teller analysis determines greater active surface area on (SiO2)90.0-Ni10.0 thin films that indicates more dye molecules may adsorb on the mesoporous photoanode to facilitate electron transport in the DSSC.
KeywordsDye-sensitized solar cells (DSSCs) Sol-gel Gel polymer electrolyte Silica Nickel
This work was supported by Project No.: UKM-DIP-2016-021and Photonic Technology Laboratory (IMEN), Department of Electrical, Electronic and Systems Engineering, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, Bangi, Selangor, Malaysia.
- 7.Abdullah H, Atiqah NA, Omar A, Asshaari I, Mahalingam S, Razali Z, Shaari S, Mandeep JS, Misran H (2015) Structural, morphological, electrical and electron transport studies in ZnO–rGO (wt%= 0.01, 0.05 and 0.1) based dye-sensitized solar cell. J Mater Sci Mater Electron 26:2263–2270CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Bandara TMWJ, Jayasundara WJMJSR, Dissanayake MAKL, Furlani M, Albinsson I, Mellander BE (2013) Effect of cation size on the performance of dye sensitized nanocrystalline TiO2 solar cells based on quasi-solid state PAN electrolytes containing quaternary ammonium iodides. Electrochim Acta 109:609–616CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.Ahmad M, Abdullah H, Yuliarto B (2018) Effect of nickel in TiO 2-SiO 2-GO-based DSSC by using a sol-gel method. Ionics 6:1Google Scholar
- 21.Wen P, Han Y, Zhao W (2012) Influence of TiO2 nanocrystals fabricating dye-sensitized solar cell on the absorping spectra of N719 sensitizer. Int J Photoenergy 2012. https://doi.org/10.1155/2012/906198
- 22.Bisquert J, Zaban A, Greenshtein M, Seró IM (2004) Determination of rate constants for charge transfer and distribution of semiconductor and electrolyte electronic energy levels in dye-sensitized solar cells by open-circuit photovoltage decay method. J Am Chem Soc 126:13550–13559CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 25.Mahalingam S, Abdullah H, Amin N, Manap A Incident photon-to-current efficiency of thermally treated SWCNTs-based nanocomposite for dye-sensitized solar cell. Ionics 1–5. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11581-018-2629-9