Preparation of gold catalyst by electrodeposition in [BMIm][TfO] ionic liquid electrolyte: an insightful study of theoretical calculations and experiments
- 62 Downloads
Theoretical calculations and experimental studies were employed to study the electrodeposition process of gold catalyst preparation in ionic liquid 1-butyl-3-methylimidazolium trifluoromethansulfonate ([BMIm][TfO]) electrolyte. The frontier molecular orbital information of [BMIm][TfO] was studied by quantum chemical calculation. Molecular dynamic simulations were employed to investigate the interfacial interactions between [BMIm][TfO] and metal surfaces. Gold catalysts obtained from [BMIm][TfO] electrolyte were characterized by scanning electron microscopy (SEM), X-ray diffraction (XRD), and X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy (XPS) measurements to confirm the prediction of theoretical calculations and determine the influence of [BMIm][TfO] ionic liquid on gold electrodeposition. With effective adsorption on metal surfaces, [BMIm][TfO] is an appropriate choice as an electrolyte for preparation of a gold catalyst by electrodeposition in non-aqueous medium.
KeywordsGold catalyst Electrodeposition Ionic liquid Quantum chemical calculation Molecular dynamic simulation
The authors acknowledge the support of the Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities (DUT18LK21 and DUT18LK15), the Natural Science Foundation of Liaoning Province (20180510020), and the Supercomputing Center of Dalian University of Technology.
- 1.Yao S, Zhang X, Zhou W, Gao R, Xu W, Ye Y, Lin L, Wen X, Liu P, Chen B, Crumlin E, Guo J, Zuo Z, Li W, Xie J, Lu L, Kiely CJ, Gu L, Shi C, Rodriguez JA, Ma D (2017) Atomic-layered Au clusters on α-MoC as catalysts for the low-temperature water-gas shift reaction. Science 357:389–393CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 21.Zhou HR, Yu YD, Wei GY, Ge HL (2012) FePt thin films electrodeposited from non-aqueous liquids. Int J Electrochem Sc 7:5544–5556Google Scholar
- 24.Shan-Shan J, Yan-Xia M, Jin-Qiu Z, Pei-Xia Y, Ye L, Mao-Zhong A (2014) Fabrication of CuInxGa1-xSe2 thin films via electrodeposition method with ionic liquid electrolytes. Chin J Inorg Chem 30:466–472Google Scholar
- 30.Liu A, Ren X, Yang Q, Chen Y, Guo J, Li Y, Gao L, An M (2018) Preparation of AgCl photocatalyst by recovering silver from discarded cyanide-free silver electrodeposition bath: insightful investigation of quantum chemical calculations and experiment. Ionics. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11581-018-2694-0
- 33.Zhu C, Yang HX, Wang YZ, Zhang DQ, Chen Y, Gao LX (2018) Synergistic effect between glutamic acid and rare earth cerium (III) as corrosion inhibitors on AA5052 aluminum alloy in neutral chloride medium. Ionics. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11581-018-2605-4
- 47.Beamson G, Briggs D (1992) High resolution XPS of organic polymers : the Scienta ESCA300 database. WileyGoogle Scholar