Thermal stability and frequency-dependent electrical conductivity of poly(aniline-co-m-nitroaniline)
- 3 Downloads
Herein, we report the frequency-dependent AC conductivity of poly(aniline-co-m-nitroaniline)s which were synthesized by chemical oxidation of aniline and m-nitroaniline using ammonium persulfate as an oxidizing agent by in situ copolymerization approach. AC conductivity of the copolymers was recorded in the frequency range of 10−3 to 108 Hz. The imaginary and real part of permittivity of as-synthesized copolymers has been measured in the frequency limit of 10−2 to 107 Hz. The copolymer PA-co-m-NA20 has demonstrated very high value of permittivity than polyaniline at low frequency. At high frequency, the permittivity of the other PA-co-m-NA is almost unaltered. The SEM images manifest the unique morphology for each copolymer. The crystallinity of the copolymer samples has been studied XRD and the thermal stability of the polymers sample has been studied by differential scanning calorimetry.
KeywordsAC conductivity Permittivity XRD DSC H-NMR SEM
The authors acknowledge the facilities for characterization of sample by Central Lab Unit (CLU) and Centre for Advance Research (CAM) of Qatar University, Doha.
The authors are thankful to Qatar University, for providing necessary research funding for the successful completion of the work.
- 1.Shirakawa H, Louis EJ, MacDiarmid AG, Chiang CK, Heeger AJ (1977) Synthesis of electrically conducting organic polymers: halogen derivatives of polyacetylene, (CH)x. J Chem Soc Chem Commun 16:578–580Google Scholar
- 3.Bai S, Zhao Y, Sun J, Tian Y, Dianqing Li RL, Chen A (2015) Synthesis, characterization and conductivity study of poly (o/m-toluidine-co-o/m-nitroaniline). ChemCommun 51:7524Google Scholar
- 4.Pant HC, Patra MK, Negi SC, Bhatia A, Valera SR, Kumar N (2006) Studies on conductivity and dielectric properties of polyaniline-zinc sulphide composites. Bull Mater Scivol 4:29Google Scholar
- 5.Joo J, Long SM, Pouget JP, Oh EJ, MacDiarmid AG, Epstein AJ (1998) Charge transport of the mesoscopic metallic state in partially crystalline polyanilines. PhysRev B57:9567Google Scholar
- 6.Asha S, Goyal L, Kumar D, Kumar S, Kishore N (2014) Synthesis and characterization of polyaniline/TiO2Composites. Indian J Pure Appl Physics 52:341–347Google Scholar
- 7.Yahya A, Ismail A, Mohammad F, Ahmad A (2011) Synthesis, electrical conductivity, spectral and thermal stability studies on poly(aniline-co-o-nitroaniline). J Macromole Sci, Part A: Pure and App Chem 48:952–961Google Scholar
- 8.Upadhyay PK, Ahmad A (2010) Synthesis, characterization and conductivity study of poly (o/m-toluidine-co-o/m-nitroaniline). Anal Bioanal Electrochem 2(3):139Google Scholar
- 10.Waware US, Hamouda AMS, Rashid M, Kasak P. (2018) Binding energy, structural and dielectric properties of thin film of poly(aniline-co-m-fluoroaniline). Ionics. 1–9Google Scholar
- 19.Waware US, Hamouda AMS, Hameed AS, Summers GJ (2017) Synthesis and characterization of electrically conductive poly(aniline-co-3-bromoaniline) nanocompositions. J Mater Sci Mater Electron 28(14):10693–10699Google Scholar
- 20.Chauhan SM, Jayveer M, Chakarabarty BS (2016) Dielectric property and conductivity study of polyaniline – CaF2 nanocomposites. J Nano Adv Mat 4:9–17Google Scholar
- 21.Machappa T, Manjunatha S, Kumar AS (2015) Int J Sci Tech-man 4: 01Google Scholar
- 22.Reda SM, Sheikha Al-Ghannnam M (2013) Am J Nanotechnol 4:16–22Google Scholar
- 24.Parinitha M, Venkateshlu A (2013) Dielectric and AC conductivity studies of vanadium pentaoxide doped polyaniline composites Reserearch Inventry: IJEST 2(2):45–50Google Scholar
- 26.Zho WS, Cromak K, MacDiarmid AG, Am J (1991) Effect of sulfonic acid group on polyaniline backboneJ. Chem Soc 113:2665–2671Google Scholar