Investigation on gel polymer electrolyte-based dye-sensitized solar cells using carbon nanotube
- 54 Downloads
A new poly (acrylonitrile) (PAN)-based gel polymer electrolyte (GPE) is fabricated to study the effect of carbon nanotube (CNT) on dye-sensitized solar cell (DSSC) efficiency. The GPEs are examined using electrochemical impedance spectroscopy (EIS) to analyze ionic conductivity. A maximum of 4.45 mS cm−1 ionic conductivity is achieved at room temperature with incorporation of 11 wt.% CNT. Performance of DSSC is examined with a solar simulator, and the highest energy conversion efficiency of 8.87% is achieved with the addition of 11 wt.% CNT. All GPE samples are found to follow Arrhenius model with temperature-dependent ionic conductivity testing. Structural properties are also characterized by X-ray diffraction (XRD) and Fourier-transform infrared (FTIR) spectroscopy.
KeywordsGel polymer electrolyte PAN Carbon nanotube Dye-sensitized solar cell
This work was supported by UMRG Grant RG382-17AFR and Fundamental Research Grant Scheme (FP012-2015A) from Ministry of Higher Education, Malaysia.
- 2.Khan MZH, Al-Mamun MR, Halder PK, Aziz MA (June 2016) Performance improvement of modified dye-sensitized solar cells. Renew Sustain Energy Rev, vol 71, no 2016:602–617Google Scholar
- 3.Khan MI (2013) A study on the optimization of dye-sensitized solar. CellGoogle Scholar
- 9.Latip NAA, Ng HM, Farah N, Ramesh K, Ramesh S, Ramesh S (2017) Novel development towards preparation of highly efficient ionic liquid based co-polymer electrolytes and its application in dye-sensitized solar cells. Org Electron physics, Mater Appl 41:33–41Google Scholar
- 18.Khanmirzaei MH, Ramesh S (2013) Ionic transport and FTIR properties of lithium iodide doped biodegradable rice starch based polymer electrolytes. Int J Electrochem Sci 8(7):9977–9991Google Scholar
- 19.de Morais A, Loiola LMD, Benedetti JE, Gonçalves AS, Avellaneda CAO, Clerici JH, Cotta MA, Nogueira AF (2013) Enhancing in the performance of dye-sensitized solar cells by the incorporation of functionalized multi-walled carbon nanotubes into TiO2 films: the role of MWCNT addition. J Photochem Photobiol A Chem 251:78–84CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 21.Chong MY, Liew CW, Numan A, Yugal K, Ramesh K, Ng HM, Chong TV, Ramesh S (2016) Effects of liquid on the hydroxypropylmethyl cellulose (HPMC) solid polymer electrolyte. Ionics 175:1–10Google Scholar
- 22.L. Ying, K. Shu-Hao, C. Shen- Ming, A. M. Ajmal, A. Fahad,“Photoelectrochemistry for red cabbage extract as natural dye to develop a dye-sensitized solar cells,” J Electrochem Sci, vol. 8, pp. 1237–1245, 2013Google Scholar
- 25.Sawatsuk T, Chindaduang A, Sae-kung C, Pratontep S, Tumcharern G (2009 )Dye-sensitized solar cells based on TiO2–MWCNTs composite electrodes: Performance improvement and their mechanisms, Diamond & Related Materials 18:524–527Google Scholar
- 26.Benedetti JE, Gonçalves AD, Formiga ALB, De Paoli M-A, Li X, Durrant JR, Nogueira AF (2010) A polymer gel electrolyte composed of a poly(ethylene oxide) copolymer and the influence of its composition on the dynamics and performance of dye-sensitized solar cells. J Power Sources 195(4):1246–1255CrossRefGoogle Scholar