A lithium salt additive Li2ZrF6 for enhancing the electrochemical performance of high-voltage LiNi0.5Mn1.5O4 cathode
- 150 Downloads
In this work, Li2ZrF6, a lithium salt additive, is reported to improve the interface stability of LiNi0.5Mn1.5O4 (LNMO)/electrolyte interface under high voltage (4.9 V vs Li/Li+). Li2ZrF6 is an effective additive to serve as an in situ surface coating material for high-voltage LNMO half cells. A protective SEI layer is formed on the electrode surface due to the involvement of Li2ZrF6 during the formation of SEI layer. Charge/discharge tests show that 0.15 mol L−1 Li2ZrF6 is the optimal concentration for the LiNi0.5Mn1.5O4 electrode and it can improve the cycling performance and rate property of LNMO/Li half cells. The results obtained by electrochemical impedance spectroscopy (EIS), scanning electron microscopy (SEM), transmission electron microscopy (TEM), and X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy (XPS) demonstrate that Li2ZrF6 can facilitate the formation of a thin, uniform, and stable solid electrolyte interface (SEI) layer. This layer inhibits the oxidation decomposition of the electrolyte and suppresses the dissolution of the cathode materials, resulting in improved electrochemical performances.
KeywordsLithium ion batteries Electrolyte Additives Lithium fluorozirconate
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 91534109), the “Strategic Priority Research Program” of the Chinese Academy of Sciences (No. XDA09010103), National Key Projects for Fundamental Research and Development of China (No. 2016YFB0100104), and International Partnership Program for Creative Research Teams (20140491518).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 12.Su CC, He MN, Peebles C, Zeng L, Tornheim A, Liao C, Zhang L, Wang J, Wang Y, Zhang CC (2017) Functionality selection principle for high voltage lithium-ion battery electrolyte additives. ACS Appl Mater Interfaces 9(36):30686–30695. https://doi.org/10.1021/acsami.7b08953 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 20.Liu WJ, Shi Q, Qu QT, Gao T, Zhu GB, Shao J, Zheng HH (2017) Improved Li-ion diffusion and stability of a LiNi0.5Mn1.5O4 cathode through in situ co-doping with dual-metal cations and incorporation of a superionic conductor. J Mater Chem A 5(1):145–154. https://doi.org/10.1039/c6ta08891k CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 23.Xu MQ, Zhou L, Dong YN, Chen YJ, Garsuch A, Lucht BL (2013) Improving the performance of graphite/LiNi0.5Mn1.5O4 cells at high voltage and elevated temperature with added lithium Bis(oxalato) borate (LiBOB). J Electrochem Soc 160(11):A2005–A2013. https://doi.org/10.1149/2.053311jes CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 26.Rong HB, Xu MQ, Xie BY, Lin HB, Zhu YM, Zheng XW, Huang WZ, Liao YH, Xing LD, Li WS (2016) A novel imidazole-based electrolyte additive for improved electrochemical performance at elevated temperature of high-voltage LiNi0.5Mn1.5O4 cathodes. J Power Sources 329:586–593. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2016.07.120 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 29.Hannink RJ, Kelly PM, Muddle BC (2000) Transformation toughening in zirconia-containing ceramics. J Am Ceram Soc 83(3):461–487. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1151-2916.2000.tb01221.x CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 30.Shi SK (2013) Synthesis method of lithium hexafluorozirconate and new application thereof. Faming Zhuanli Shenqing Gongkai Shuomingshu, CN103227326A (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 31.Zhou L, Wu YN, Huang J, Fang X, Wang T, Liu WM, Wang Y, Jin Y, Tang XC (2017) Enhanced electrochemical performance of Li1.2Mn0.54Ni0.13Co0.13O2 cathode material coated with Li+-conductive Li2SiO3 for lithium ion batteries. J Alloys Compd 724:991–999. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jallcom.2017.05.328 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 32.Xu XL, Deng SX, Wang H, Liu JB, Yan H (2017) Research progress in improving the cycling stability of high voltage LiNi Mn O cathode in lithium-ion battery. Nano-Micro Lett 9(2):22–40. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40820-016-0123-3
- 33.Tao S, Kong FJ, Wu CQ, Su XZ, Xiang T, Chen SM, Hou HH, Zhang L, Fang Y, Wang ZC, Chu WS, Qian B, Song L (2017) Nanoscale TiO2 membrane coating spinel LiNi0.5Mn1.5O4 cathode material for advanced lithium-ion batteries. J Alloys Compd 705:413–419. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jallcom.2017.02.139 CrossRefGoogle Scholar