Real-time reversible data hiding based on multiple histogram modification
- 169 Downloads
Prediction-error expansion (PEE) has been widely utilized in reversible data hiding (RDH) due to its advantage of high-quality marked image. Recently, a RDH method based on multiple histogram modification (MHM) has been proposed, achieving good performance at low capacity. However, its exhaustive expansion-bin-selection mechanism is time consuming, so that it can only choose a single pair of expansion bins in each histogram for embedding data. As an extension of MHM, a novel RDH scheme for high-capacity embedding is proposed in this paper. In the proposed method, multiple pairs of expansion bins are utilized in each histogram and a greedy search algorithm is designed to determine the nearly optimal expansion bins. The results of experiments demonstrate that the proposed scheme has real-time performance and high-quality marked image, and it outperforms the original MHM-based RDH method and some other state-of-the-art works.
KeywordsReversible data hiding Prediction-error expansion Real-time embedding Greedy algorithm
This work was supported by the National Science Foundation of China (nos. 61572052, U1736213, and U1636206).
- 1.Cox, I., Miller, M., Bloom, J., Fridrich, J., Kalker, T.: Digital Watermarking and Steganography. Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco (2007)Google Scholar
- 3.Li, B., He, J., Huang, J., Shi, Y.Q.: A survey on image steganography and steganalysis. J. Inf. Hiding Multimed. Signal Process. 2(2), 142–172 (2011)Google Scholar
- 4.Ma, Y., Luo, X., Li, X., Bao, Z., Zhang, Y.: Selection of rich model steganalysis features based on decision rough set \(\alpha\)-positive region reduction. IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. Video Technol. (2018). https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSVT.2018.2799243
- 17.Ou, B., Li, X., Zhang, W., Zhao, Y.: Improving pairwise PEE via hybrid-dimensional histogram generation and adaptive mapping selection. IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. Video Technol. (2018). https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSVT.2018.2859792
- 26.Hwang, H.J., Kim, H.J., Sachnev, V., Joo, S.H.: Reversible watermarking method using optimal histogram pair shifting based on prediction and sorting. KSII Trans. Internet Inf. Syst. 4(4), 655–670 (2010)Google Scholar
- 32.Xuan, G., Tong, X., Teng, J., Zhang, X., Shi, Y.Q.: Optimal histogram-pair and prediction-error based image reversible data hiding. In: The International Workshop on Digital Forensics and Watermarking 2012. pp. 368–383. Springer (2013)Google Scholar
- 39.Wang, J., Ni, J., Zhang, X., Shi, Y.Q.: Rate and distortion optimization for reversible data hiding using multiple histogram shifting. IEEE Trans. Cybern. 47(2), 315–326 (2017)Google Scholar