Systematic Review of Suicidal Behaviour in Individuals Who Have Attended Substance Abuse Treatment
- 127 Downloads
Worldwide, more than 1 million people take their life every year. In Australia, 3027 deaths by suicide were reported in 2015, the highest rate reported in 10 years. There is an alarming disparity between suicide rates across Indigenous and non-Indigenous people documented in many countries around the world. Between 2001 and 2010, the overall suicide rate for Indigenous Australians was twice that for non-Indigenous individuals. Compared to the general population, those with substance abuse disorders are almost 10 times more likely to die from suicide. In alcohol and other drug treatment (AOD) services, one in seven (15%) clients are Indigenous, despite representing only 3% of the entire Australian population. In order to better understand the current status of research in the field, a systematic review was completed aimed at identifying studies that reported the prevalence of suicidal behaviour in substance abuse treatment settings, with the additional aim of comparing rates and risk profiles across Indigenous and non-Indigenous Australians. We identified 20 studies reporting rates of suicidal behaviour in individuals who have attended AOD treatment. Rates of suicidal ideation, suicide attempts and death by suicide were reported across multiple studies. Eleven studies reported rates of lifetime suicide attempts with prevalence rates ranging from 17.1 to 47% (median = 30.2%; mean = 29.2%). No studies were identified reporting Australian Indigenous rates of suicidal behaviour in substance abuse treatment settings, highlighting a significant gap in the literature.
KeywordsPrevalence Suicide Suicidal behaviour Substance abuse Treatment Indigenous
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors report no conflict of interest or ethical concerns regarding the research paper.
- Atkinson, J. (2002). Trauma trails, recreating song lines: the transgenerational effects of trauma in Indigenous Australia. North Geelong: Spinifex Press.Google Scholar
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (2008). National Survey of Mental Health and Wellbeing: summary of results, 2007 (cat. no. 4326.0). Retrieved from http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/mf/4326.0.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (2012). Suicides, Australia, 2010 (cat. no. 3309.0). Retrieved from http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Products/3309.0~2010~Chapter~Aboriginal+and+Torres+Strait+Islander+suicide+deaths?OpenDocument.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (2013). Estimates of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians, June 2011 (cat. no. 3238.0.55.001). Retrieved from http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/mf/3238.0.55.001.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (2014). Causes of death, Australia, 2014 (cat. no. 3303.0). Retrieved from http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Lookup/by%20Subject/3303.0~2014~Main%20Features~Intentional%20self-harm%20by%20Age~10051.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (2016). Causes of death, Australia, 2015 (cat. no. 3303.0). Retrieved from http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Lookup/by%20Subject/3303.0~2015~Main%20Features~Intentional%20self-harm:%20key%20characteristics~8.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (2017). Causes of death, Australia, 2016 (cat. no. 3303.0). Retrieved from http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Lookup/by%20Subject/3303.0~2016~Main%20Features~Intentional%20self-harm%20in%20Aboriginal%20and%20Torres%20Strait%20Islander%20people~8.
- Australian Department of Health and Ageing. (2013). National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander suicide prevention strategy. Canberra: Commonwealth of Australia Retrieved from: https://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/content/1CE7187EC4965005CA25802800127B49/$File/Indigenous%20Strategy.pdf.Google Scholar
- Australian Institute of Health and Wellbeing (2011). Substance use among Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. Retrieved from http://www.aihw.gov.au/publication-detail/?id=10737418268.
- Australian Institute of Health and Wellbeing (2013). Illicit use of drugs. Retrieved from http://www.aihw.gov.au/alcohol-and-other-drugs/ndshs-2013/ch5/.
- Australian Institute of Health and Wellbeing (2015). Alcohol and other drug treatment services (AODTS) Retrieved from http://www.aihw.gov.au/alcohol-and-other-drugs/aodts/.
- Bohnert, A. S. B., Roeder, K. M., & Ilgen, M. A. (2011). Suicide attempts and overdoses among adults entering addictions treatment: comparing correlates in a U.S. national study. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 119(1–2), 106–112. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2011.05.032.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Broome, R. (2010). Aboriginal Australians. A history since 1788. Crows Nest: Allen & Unwin.Google Scholar
- Conrad, K. J., Bezruczko, N., Chan, Y. F., Riley, B., Diamond, G., & Dennis, M. L. (2010). Screening for atypical suicide risk with person fit statistics among people presenting to alcohol and other drug treatment. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 106(2–3), 92–100. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2009.07.023.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Dudley, M. (2004). Addressing indigenous suicide: a special case? A response to Colin Tatz. Australian Aboriginal Studies, 2, 26 Retrieved from http://search.informit.com.au.ezproxy.uow.edu.au/documentSummary;dn=449426673960949;res=IELAPA.Google Scholar
- Eckermann, A.-K., Dowd, T., Chong, E., Nixon, L., & Gray, R. (2010). Binan Goonj: bridging cultures in Aboriginal health. Chatswood: Elsevier Australia.Google Scholar
- Elliott-Farrelly, T. (2004). Australian Aboriginal suicide: the need for an aboriginal suicidology? Australian e-Journal for the Advancement of Mental Health, 3(3), 138–145 Retrieved from: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.5172/jamh.3.3.138.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Fudalej, S., Ilgen, M., Kolodziejczyk, I., Podgorska, A., Serafin, P., Barry, K., … Bohnert, A. (2015). Somatic comorbidity and other factors related to suicide attempt among polish methadone maintenance patients. Journal of Addiction Medicine, 9(6), 433–439. doi: https://doi.org/10.1097/adm.0000000000000153.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Glass, J. E., Ilgen, M. A., Winters, J. J., Murray, R. L., Perron, B. E., & Chermack, S. T. (2010). Inpatient hospitalization in addiction treatment for patients with a history of suicide attempt: a case of support for treatment performance measures. Journal of Psychoactive Drugs, 42(3), 315–325. https://doi.org/10.1080/02791072.2010.10400694.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Hanssens, L. (2007). Indigenous dreaming: how suicide in the context of substance abuse has impacted on and shattered the dreams and reality of Indigenous communities in Northern Territory, Australia. Aboriginal and Islander Health Worker Journal, 31(6), 26 Retrieved from http://search.informit.com.au.ezproxy.uow.edu.au/documentSummary;dn=957286938108787;res=IELHEA.Google Scholar
- Hasin, D., Grant, B., & Endicott, J. (1988). Treated and untreated suicide attempts in substance abuse patients. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, 176(5), 289–294 Retrieved from https://www.scopus.com/record/display.uri?eid=2-s2.0-0023921932&origin=inward&txGid=95E444BC345E126FFFFC5C97BC02E824.wsnAw8kcdt7IPYLO0V48gA%3a1.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ilgen, M. A., Burnette, M. L., Conner, K. R., Czyz, E., Murray, R., & Chermack, S. (2010). The association between violence and lifetime suicidal thoughts and behaviors in individuals treated for substance use disorders. Addictive Behaviors, 35(2), 111–115. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.addbeh.2009.09.010.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Joiner, T. (2005). Why people die by suicide. Cambridge: Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- Kennedy, M. C., Marshall, B. D., Hayashi, K., Nguyen, P., Wood, E., & Kerr, T. (2015). Heavy alcohol use and suicidal behavior among people who use illicit drugs: a cohort study. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 151, 272–277 http://doi.org.ezproxy.uow.edu.au/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2015.03.006.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kirst, M., Aery, A., Matheson, F. I., & Stergiopoulos, V. (2017). Provider and consumer perceptions of trauma informed practices and services for substance use and mental Health Problems. International Journal of Mental Health and Addictions, 15, 514–528. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11469-016-9693-z.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kropp, F., Somoza, E., Lilleskov, M., Moccasin, M. G. B., Moore, M., Lewis, D., … Winhusen, T. (2013). Characteristics of northern plains American Indians seeking substance abuse treatment in an urban, non-tribal clinic: a descriptive study. Community Mental Health Journal, 49(6), 714–721. doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10597-012-9537-7.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- McLellan, A. T., Luborsky, L., Woody, G. E., & O’Brian, C. P. (1980). An improved diagnostic evaluation instrument for substance abuse patients: the Addiction Severity Index. The Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, 168(1), 26–33 Retrieved from https://www.scopus.com/record/display.uri?eid=2-s2.0-0018899363&origin=inward&txGid=95E444BC345E126FFFFC5C97BC02E824.wsnAw8kcdt7IPYLO0V48gA%3a13.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ortiz-Gomez, L. D., Lopez-Canul, B., & Arankowsky-Sandoval, G. (2014). Factors associated with depression and suicide attempts in patients undergoing rehabilitation for substance abuse. Journal of Affective Disorders, 169, 10–14. https://doi.org/10.1010/j.jad.2014.07.033.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Preuss, U. W., Schuckit, M. A., Smith, T. L., Danko, G. P., Bucholz, K. K., Hesselbrock, M. N., Hesselbrock, V., & Kramer, J. R. (2003). Predictors and correlates of suicide attempts over 5 years in 1,237 alcohol-dependent men and women. American Journal of Psychiatry, 160(1), 56–63. https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.ajp.160.1.56.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Procter, N. G. (2005). Parasuicide, self-harm and suicide in aboriginal people in rural Australia: a review of the literature with implications for mental health nursing practice. International Journal of Nursing Practice, 11(5), 237–241. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-172X.2005.00529.x.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ridani, R., Shand, F. L., Christensen, H., McKay, K., Tighe, J., Burns, J., & Hunter, E. (2015). Suicide prevention in Australian Aboriginal communities: A review of past and present programs. Suicide and Life-threatening Behavior, 45(1), 111–140. https://doi.org/10.1111/sltb.12121.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Ross, J., Teesson, M., Darke, S., Lynskey, M., Ali, R., Ritter, A., & Cooke, R. (2005). The characteristics of heroin users entering treatment: findings from the Australian Treatment Outcome Study (ATOS). Drug and Alcohol Review, 24(5), 411–418. https://doi.org/10.1080/09595230500286039.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Silburn, S., Robinson, G., Leckning, B., Henry, D., Cox, A., & Kickett, D. (2014). Preventing suicide among Aboriginal Australians. In P. Dudgeon, H. Milroy, & R. Walker (Eds.), Working together: Aboriginal and Torres Strait islander mental health and wellbeing principles and practice (2 ndedition) (pp. 147–164). Canberra: Commonwealth of Australia.Google Scholar
- Sveticic, J., Milner, A., & De Leo, D. (2012). Contacts with mental health services before suicide: a comparison of Indigenous with non-Indigenous Australians. General hospital psychiatry, 34(2), 185–191.Google Scholar
- Tatz, C. (1999). Aboriginal suicide is different: Aboriginal youth suicide in New South Wales, the Australian Capital Territory and New Zealand: towards a model of explanation and alleviation. Criminology Research Council grant. Google Scholar
- Tatz, C. (2005). Aboriginal suicide is different: a portrait of life and self-destruction. Aboriginal Suicide is different: a portrait of life and self-destruction, xxv.Google Scholar
- Tiet, Q. Q., Ilgen, M. A., Byrnes, H. F., & Moos, R. H. (2006). Suicide attempts among substance use disorder patients: an initial step toward a decision tree for suicide management. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, 30(6), 998–1005. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1530-0277.2006.00114.x.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Trewin, D. (2004). National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health survey: Australia. http://www.ausstats.abs.gov.au/Ausstats/subscriber.nsf/0/B1BCF4E6DD320A0BCA25714C001822BC/$File/47150_2004-05.pdf. Accessed 23 Nov 2018.
- World Health Organisation (WHO) (2014). Preventing suicide: a global imperative. Retrieved from http://www.who.int/mental_health/suicide-prevention /world_report_2014/en/.