Allergic Reactions to Legalized Marijuana Use in Colorado
The state of Colorado decriminalized marijuana use in 1975, legalized its use for medical purposes in 2000, and voters approved recreational use in 2016. During this period, there has been a dearth of information about respiratory and skin reactions to marijuana use and/or exposure to the substance from working in the industry or home growing conditions. This brief report, based on patient complaints, evidences Cannabis sativa as a mild allergen. However, significant exposure can elicit marked respiratory and dermatologic allergic reactions requiring proper diagnosis and treatment. Additionally, contaminants such as pesticides or mold related to cannabis production, handling, and/or use may cause adverse reactions of a non-allergic nature treatment.
KeywordsMarijuana use Allegic reactions Medical practice
Compliance with Ethical Standards
The article is in compliance with the protection of all human and animal rights.
Conflict of Interest
The author declares that there is no conflict of interest.
- Engler, D. B., Malick, A. A., Saraf, S. K., & Dargel, L. A. (2013). Severe marijuana allergy controlled with omalizumab. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, 131((2), AB215.Google Scholar
- Migoya, D., & Baca, R. (2015). Tighter regs proposed for pesticides used on Colorado pot. Retrieved from http://www.thecannabist.co/2015/10/05/colorado-proposes-stricter-rulespot-pesticide-use/41907/?_ga¼1.122198088.275757519.1435856040.
- Pohl, J. (2012). Study finds perilous mold in Colorado pot-growing operations. Retrieved from https://www.denverpost.com/2012/09/10/study-finds-perilous-mold-in-colorado-pot-growing-operations/
- Salo, P. M., Wilkerson, J., Rose, K. M., Cohn, R. D., Calatroni, A., Mitchell, H. E., & Zeldin, D. C. (2017). Bedroom allergen exposures in US households. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaci.2017.08.033.
- Wave 3 News (2018) Allergy testing general information. Retrieved from http://www.wave3.com/story/5378221/allergy-testing-general-information