Multi-Band Terahertz Absorber at 0.1–1 THz Frequency Based on Ultra-Thin Metamaterial
- 255 Downloads
In this letter, we design a terahertz (THz) multi-band absorber comprised of four square open/closed loops and a ring wall resonant metamaterial with a high absorption rate for TE and TM polarization. Based on resonant response of metamaterial, five different sizes of the metal rings could tune five absorption peaks to produce five-band absorbing performance in the frequency ranging from 0.1 to 1 THz. By comparing the absorber consisting of independent ring with multiple rings, the multi-band absorption could be demonstrated by increasing the number of metal rings. The simulation results are indicated that the multi-band absorbing of the THz absorber is independent of incident angle within a wide range. The design method of the absorber presented can not only provide a theoretical tool to perform diversity absorbing with multiple band and multi-absorption azimuth in terahertz communications, but also has potential for applications in THz imagers, detectors, sensors, and emitters.
KeywordsMulti-band absorber Metamaterial Finite difference frequency domain Terahertz communications
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC) (No. 61705200).
- 2.Commandré M, Vial B, Tisserand S, Roux L, Dallaporta H, Bedu F, Demésy G, Nicolet A, Zolla F (2015) Design, fabrication and characterization of resonant metamaterial filters for infrared multispectral imaging[J]. Thin Solid Films 592:296–304. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tsf.2015.04.026 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Porterfield DW High-efficiency terahertz frequency triplers[C]// microwave symposium, 2007. IEEE/MTT-S Int 2007:337–340. https://doi.org/10.1109/mwsym.2007.380439
- 6.Chow WW, Wanke MC, Lerttamrab M et al (2007) THz quantum cascade lasers for standoff molecule detection. Off Sci Res Inf Tech Rep. https://doi.org/10.2172/921751
- 9.Liao Z, Liu S, Ma HF, Li C, Jin B, Cui TJ (2016) Electromagnetically induced transparency metamaterial based on spoof localized surface plasmons at terahertz frequencies[J]. Sci Rep 6(27596). https://doi.org/10.1038/srep27596
- 11.Petre S, Randolph M (2005) Spectral analysis of signals (POD)[J]. Leber Magen Darm 13(2):57–63Google Scholar
- 12.Debus C, Bolivar P H (2007) Frequency selective surfaces for high-sensitivity terahertz sensors[C]// lasers and electro-optics, 2007. CLEO 2007. Conference on IEEE, 1–2. doi https://doi.org/10.1109/cleo.2007.4452943
- 33.Liu H, Zhao L, Dong S et al (2018) Theoretical design of twelve-band infrared metamaterial perfect absorber by combining the dipole, quadrupole, and octopole plasmon resonance modes of four different ring-strip resonators[J]. Opt Express 26(10):12838–12851. https://doi.org/10.1364/oe.26.012838 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar