Gold Nanowires-Based Hyperbolic Metamaterial Multiband Absorber Operating in the Visible and Near-Infrared Regimes
- 145 Downloads
Spectral feature of gold nanowires-based hyperbolic metamaterial (NWHMM) absorber was investigated. The absorber has NWHMM surface as the top layer, which is composed of periodically arranged arrays of subwavelength-sized gold (Au) nanowires (of circular cross-section) immersed in silicon dioxide (SiO2) dielectric medium. Such NWHMM surface is over a planar dielectric SiO2 substrate, backed by a perfect (bottom) reflector comprised of nano-sized bulk layer of silver (Ag). Considering the incidence of electromagnetic waves (in the range of 400–1400 nm wavelength) on the top NWHMM surface, the absorption spectrum of the proposed structure was analyzed for different thickness values (of surface), incidence angles, and also Au nanowire radius. The presence of multiple absorption peaks was noticed, which comes into existence due to different resonance conditions. The absorption features can be tuned by altering the operational conditions.
KeywordsMetamaterials Metamaterial absorber Hyperbolic metamaterials Complex mediums
The authors are thankful to the anonymous reviewer for comments, which helped to improve the content.
The project is partially supported by the internal grant no. GGP-2017-014 provided by the UKM; one of the authors (PKC) gratefully acknowledges this.
- 1.Poddubny AN, Belov PA, Kivshar YS (2011) Spontaneous radiation of finite-size dipole emitter in hyperbolic metamaterial. Phys Rev A 84:Article 023807Google Scholar
- 7.Yang Y, Jing L, Shen L, Wang Z, Zheng B, Wang H, Li E, Shen NH, Koschny T, Soukoulis CM, Chen H (2017) Hyperbolic spoof plasmonic metasurfaces. Nat NPG Asia Mater 9:e428.1–e428.7Google Scholar
- 15.Abbas F, Faryad MA (2017) A highly sensitive multiplasmonic sensor using hyperbolic chiral sculptured thin films. J Appl Phys 122:Article 173104Google Scholar
- 16.Moghaddas S, Ghasemi M, Choudhury PK, Majlis BY (2018) Engineered metasurface of gold funnels for terahertz wave filtering. Plasmonics. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11468-017-0668-0
- 21.Ning R, Liu S, Zhang H, Bian B, Kong X (2014) A wide-angle broadband absorber in graphene-based hyperbolic metamaterials. Sci Rep 6:31225Google Scholar
- 23.Yermakov OY, Ovcharenko AI, Bogdanov AA, Iorsh IV, Bliokh KY, Kivshar YS (2016) Spin control of light with hyperbolic metasurfaces. Phys Rev B 94:Article 075446Google Scholar