Single-cell RNA sequencing profiling of the effects of aging on alveolar stem cells
The aging of alveolar stem cells has been linked to many chronic lung diseases, including pulmonary fibrosis. However, the effects of aging on alveolar stem cells during homeostasis and post-injury alveolar repair have not been well characterized. Here we conducted a single-cell RNA sequencing (scRNA-seq) analysis of alveolar stem cells of 3-month-old and 12-month-old mice to characterize the aging effect on alveolar stem cells. Our results have shown that the transcriptomes of alveolar stem cells of 3-month-old and 12-month-old mice are not significantly different under the steady condition. However, after a bleomycin-induced lung injury, the alveolar stem cells of 12-month-old mice show enhanced inflammatory responses and decreased lipid metabolism. Our study suggests a close relationship among aging, lipid metabolism, inflammatory responses and chronic lung diseases.
Keywordssingle-cell RNA sequencing (scRNA-seq) aging pulmonary alveolar stem cells inflammation response lipid metabolism
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (81430001 and 81870056) and Beijing Major Science and Technology Projects (Z171100000417003 to N.T.).
- Angelidis, I., Simon, L.M., Fernandez, I.E., Strunz, M., Mayr, C.H., Greiffo, F.R., Tsitsiridis, G., Ansari, M., Graf, E., Strom, T.M., et al. (2019). An atlas of the aging lung mapped by single cell transcriptomics and deep tissue proteomics. Nat Commun 10, 963.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Bauer, Y., Tedrow, J., de Bernard, S., Birker-Robaczewska, M., Gibson, K. F., Guardela, B.J., Hess, P., Klenk, A., Lindell, K.O., Poirey, S., et al. (2015). A novel genomic signature with translational significance for human idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 52, 217–231.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Guglani, L., Gopal, R., Rangel-Moreno, J., Junecko, B.F., Lin, Y., Berger, T., Mak, T.W., Alcorn, J.F., Randall, T.D., Reinhart, T.A., et al. (2012). Lipocalin 2 regulates inflammation during pulmonary mycobacterial infections. PLoS ONE 7, e50052.Google Scholar
- Rock, J.R., Barkauskas, C.E., Cronce, M.J., Xue, Y., Harris, J.R., Liang, J., Noble, P.W., and Hogan, B.L.M. (2011). Multiple stromal populations contribute to pulmonary fibrosis without evidence for epithelial to mesenchymal transition. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 108, E1475–E1483.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Wan, Q., Liu, Z.Y., Yang, Y.P., and Liu, S.M. (2017). Effect of curcumin on inhibiting atherogenesis by down-regulating lipocalin-2 expression in apolipoprotein E knockout mice. Biomed Mater Eng 27, 577–587.Google Scholar
- Wang, C., Xu, J., Yang, L., Xu, Y., Zhang, X., Bai, C., Kang, J., Ran, P., Shen, H., Wen, F., et al. (2018). Prevalence and risk factors of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in China (the China Pulmonary Health [CPH] study): a national cross-sectional study. Lancet 391, 1706–1717.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Weyand, C.M., and Goronzy, J.J. (2016). Aging of the immune system. mechanisms and therapeutic targets. Ann Am Thorac Soc 13, S422–S428.Google Scholar