Pregnane glycosides from the bark of Marsdenia cundurango and their cytotoxic activity
- 198 Downloads
Seven new pregnane glycosides (1–7) and eight known compounds (8–15) were isolated from the bark of Marsdenia cundurango (Asclepiadaceae). The structures of 1–7 were determined by spectroscopic analysis, including two-dimension NMR spectroscopy, chemical transformations, and chromatographic analysis of the hydrolyzed products. The isolated compounds 1–15 were evaluated for their cytotoxic activity against HL-60 human leukemia cells, A549 human lung adenocarcinoma cells, and TIG-3 normal human lung cells, including apoptosis-inducing activity of a representative pregnane glycoside in HL-60 cells.
KeywordsMarsdenia cundurango Asclepiadaceae Pregnane glycosides Cytotoxic activity HL-60 cell line A549 cell line TIG-3 cell line Apoptosis
This work was financially supported in part by the Japan Society for the Promotion of Sciences (JSPS) KAKENHI (Grant number 26860069).
- 1.The Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare, Japan. The Japanese pharmacopoeia, 17th edn (Ministry notification no. 64 of March 7, 2016). The Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare, TokyoGoogle Scholar
- 10.Sikdar S, Mukherjee A, Boujedaini N, Khuda-Bukhsh AR (2013) Ethanolic extract of Condurango (Marsdenia condurango) used in traditional systems of medicine including homeopathy against cancer can induce DNA damage and apoptosis in non small lung cancer cells, A549 and H522, in vitro. Tang Humanit Med 3:e9Google Scholar
- 11.Sikdar S, Mukherjee A, Ghosh S, Khuda-Bukhsh AR (2014) Codurango glycoside-rich components stimulate DNA damage-induced cell cycle arrest and ROS-mediated caspase-3 dependent apoptosis through inhibition of cell-proliferation in lung cancer, in vitro and in vivo. Environ Toxicol Pharmacol 37:300–331CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Kubo A, Kuroda M, Yokosuka A, Sakagami H, Mimaki Y (2015) Amurensiosides L-P, five new cardenolide glycosides from the roots of Adonis amurensis. Nat Prod Commun 10:27–32Google Scholar
- 15.Zhang Y, Yuan J, Ding W (1993) Structural elucidation of marsdeoreophiside A. Zhongcaoyao 24:171–173Google Scholar