Seven new resin glycosides from the seeds of Quamoclit × multifida
Seven new resin glycosides, multifidins III (1)–IX (7), were isolated from the seeds of Quamoclit × multifida (syn. Q. sloteri House) (Convolvulaceae), along with five known glycosides, quamoclinic acid B methyl ester (8), operculin XIII (9), quamoclin I (10), QM-10 (11), and QM-12 (12). Their structures were determined on the basis of spectroscopic data and chemical evidence. These compounds were of two different types, i.e., those with macrolactone structures and those with non-macrolactone structures. Additionally, cytotoxic activity towards HL-60 human leukemia cells of 1, 2, 5, 8, 9, 11, and 12 was evaluated. Among them, macrolactone-type resin glycosides (jalapins), 1, 2, and 9, specifically demonstrated clear cytotoxic activity with IC50 values of 3.46, 14.7, and 10.9 μM, respectively.
KeywordsResin glycoside Jalapin Multifidin Quamoclit × multifida Convolvulaceae Cytotoxic activity
We express our appreciation to Mr. H. Harazono of Fukuoka University for the measurement of the FAB-MS. This research was supported in part by a Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (C) (JPS KAKENHI Grant number JP16K08306) and by the Research and Study Program/Project of Tokai University Educational System General Research Organization (Kanagawa, Japan).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare no conflict of interest.
- 4.Hotta M, Ogata K, Nitta A, Hosikawa K, Yanagi M, Yamazaki K (eds) (1989) Useful plants of the world. Heibonsha Ltd., Tokyo, p 881Google Scholar
- 9.Yasuda S, Kuwata H, Kawamoto K, Shirakawa J, Atobe S, Hoshi Y, Yamasaki M, Nishiyama K, Tachibana H, Yamada K, Kobayashi H, Igoshi K (2012) Effect of highly lipolyzed goat cheese on HL-60 human leukemia cells: antiproliferative activity and induction of apoptotic DNA damage. J Dairy Sci 95:2248–2260CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 11.Ono M, Fujimoto K, Kawata M, Fukunaga T, Kawasaki T, Miyahara K (1992) Resin glycosides. XIII. Operculins VI, XI, XII, XIII, XIV and XV, the ether-soluble resin glycosides (jalapin) from Rhizoma Jalapae Braziliensis (roots of Ipomoea operculata). Chem Pharm Bull 40:1400–1403CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 13.Akiyama K, Yamamoto K, Mineno T, Okawa M, Kinjo J, Yoshimitsu H, Nohara T, Ono M (2014) Five new resin glycoside derivatives isolated from the convolvulin fraction of seeds of Quamoclit pennata after treatment with indium(III) chloride in methanol. Chem Pharm Bull 62:125–133CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 14.Ono M, Akiyama K, Yamamoto K, Mineno T, Okawa M, Kinjo J, Miyashita H, Yoshimitsu H, Nohara T (2014) Four new acylated glycosidic acid methyl esters isolated from the convolvulin fraction of seeds of Quamoclit pennata after treatment with indium(III) chloride in methanol. Chem Pharm Bull 62:830–835CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar