Structure–activity relationships of flavanones, flavanone glycosides, and flavones in anti-degranulation activity in rat basophilic leukemia RBL-2H3 cells
- 338 Downloads
The incidence of type I allergies, which are associated with mast cell degranulation and local inflammation, is increasing, and new treatments are needed. To date, structure–activity relationships of flavonoids in their degranulation-inhibiting activity have not been systematically characterized. In the current study, the degranulation-inhibiting activity of a series of flavonoids was evaluated. The following three observations were made: (1) the activity disappears when a sugar moiety is introduced into the A ring of the flavanone; (2) the activity depends on the number of hydroxyl groups on the B ring; (3) the activity is markedly enhanced when a double bond is introduced into the C ring. The information obtained in the current study may guide the development of a therapy for type I allergies.
KeywordsFlavonoids Anti-degranulation Type I allergy Structure–activity relationship Rat basophilic leukemia RBL-2H3 cell
The authors would like to thank Editage (http://www.editage.jp) for English language editing.
- 4.Gorinstein S, Leontowicz H, Leontowicz M, Krzeminski R, Gralak M, Jastrzebski Z, Park YS, Jung ST, Kang SG, Trakhtenberg S (2007) Effect of hesperidin and naringin on the plasma lipid profile and plasma antioxidant activity in rats fed a cholesterol-containing diet. J Sci Food Agric 87:1257–1262CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Son HS, Kim HS, Ju JS (1991) Effects of rutin and hesperidin on total cholesterol concentration, transaminases and alkaline phosphatase activity in carbon tetrachloride treated rats. Hanguk Nonghwahak Hoechi (J Korean Agric Chem Soc) 34:318–326 (In Korean, with summaries in English)Google Scholar
- 12.Nishihata S, Murata T, Inoue S, Okubo K, Sahashi N, Takahashi H, Hirooka J, Hoshiyama Y, Murayama K, Mezawa A, Yokoyama T, Endo T, Saiga T, Saito Y (2010) Prevalence of Japanese cedar pollinosis in Tokyo: a survey conducted by the Tokyo Metropolitan Government. Clin Exp Allergy Rev 10:8–11CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Yang HB, Wang YC, Zhang ZT, Chang Y (2008) Synthesis and crystal structure of pilloin. Turk J Chem 32:87–95Google Scholar
- 18.Han HK, Choi SS, Kim YR, Kim HJ, Kang GM, Dong MS, Na CS, Chung HS (2006) Diarylheptanoid and flavonoid with antioxidant activity from Alnus japonica Steud on DPPH free radical scavenging assay. J Food Sci Nur 11:171–175Google Scholar