Triterpenoid saponins from Polaskia chichipe Backbg. and their inhibitory or promotional effects on the melanogenesis of B16 melanoma cells
- 281 Downloads
Five new oleanane-type saponins 1–5 together with a known saponin 6 and a steroidal glycoside 7 were isolated from Polaskia chichipe Backbg., and their structures were determined from their 1D and 2D NMR and HRFABMS spectral data. The six isolated saponins 1–6 were tested for their effects on the melanogenesis of B16 melanoma 4A5 cells. Compound 1 exerted an inhibitory effect at 100 μM whereas compound 3 promoted melanogenesis at the same concentration, even though these two compounds contain the same aglycon structure. The dose-dependent activities of compounds 1 and 3 on melanin synthesis were investigated.
KeywordsCactus Polaskia chichipe Saponins Melanin B16 Chichipegenin Oleanolic acid Chichipenoside
We would like to thank Miss Tamami Koseki (MS spectra) and Mrs. Shoko Yamada (NMR spectra) from the instrumental analysis center in Meiji Pharmaceutical University for measuring the MS and NMR spectra.
- 8.Djerassi C, Burstein S, Estrada H, Lemin AJ, Lippman AE, Manjarrez A, Monsimer HG (1957) Terpenoids. XXVIII. The triterpene composition of the genus Myrtillocactus. J Am Chem Soc 79:3525–3528Google Scholar
- 18.Imai T, Okazaki S, Kinoshita K, Koyama K, Takahashi K, Yuasa H (2006) Triterpenoid saponins from cultural plants of Stenocereus stellatus (Cactaceae). J Nat Prod 60:49–53Google Scholar
- 24.Kakuta K, Baba M, Ito S, Kinoshita K, Koyama K, Takahashi K (2012) New triterpenoid saponins from cacti and anti-type I allergy activity of saponins from cactus. Bioorg Med Chem Lett 22:4793–4800Google Scholar
- 25.Harinantenaina L, Brodie PJ, Callmander MW, Razafitsalama LJ, Rasamison VE, Rakotobe E, Kingston DGI (2012) Two antiproliferative saponins of Tarenna grevei from the Madagascar dry forest. Nat Prod Commun 7:705–708Google Scholar
- 27.Yoshikawa K, Taninaka H, Kan Y, Arihara S (1994) Antisweet natural products. X. Structures of sitakisosides I–V from Stephanotis lutchuensis KOIDZ. var. japonica. Chem Pharm Bull 42:2023–2027Google Scholar
- 28.Hambley WT, Lewis GK, Tucker JD, Turner P (1996) Properties of olean-12-ene-3β,16β,22α,28-tetrol and some derivatives. Aust J Chem 49:775–783Google Scholar
- 31.Shaheen F, Muhammad A, Rubeena S, Irfanullah, Bibi S (2001) Spectral assignments and reference data. Magn Reson Chem 39:399–405Google Scholar