Mixed matrix membranes incorporated with sonication-assisted ZIF-8 nanofillers for hazardous wastewater treatment
Mixed matrix membranes (MMMs) provide a unique pathway to treat hazardous industrial effluents. MMMs containing zeolitic imidazolate framework-8 (ZIF-8) as filler in polydimethoxysilane (PDMS) matrix were synthesized. ZIF-8 was prepared using a modified recipe and characterized by different techniques to evaluate its morphology, thermal stability, surface area, pore volume, and other characteristics. The performance of membranes was evaluated for their application in industrial dye-stuff wastewater treatment and solvent-resistant nanofiltration. The results demonstrated that increase in the percentage of ZIF-8 loading in PDMS led to simultaneous increase in the solvent permeability as well as solute rejection from wastewater. The permeability of MMMs increased up to 32% as compared with neat PDMS membrane. The organic dye rejection was achieved more than 87% with MMMs incorporated with 20% loading of nanofillers. Rejection of MMMs was 22% higher than that of unfilled PDMS membrane due to the effect of reduced polymer swelling and size exclusion of the nanofillers. Membrane swelling tests with toluene and isopropanol demonstrated that nanofiller amount has inverse relation with membrane swelling, which implied that nanofillers were in good interaction with polymer and allowed defect free membranes with higher solute rejections and reduced membrane swelling.
KeywordsHazardous wastewater, mixed matrix membrane ZIF-8 nanofillers Solvent-resistant nanofiltration Membrane swelling
Dr. A. L. Khan would like to thank Higher Education Commission (HEC), Pakistan, for their grant under NRPU Project no. 3514.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflicts of interest.
- Cheng XQ, Zhang YL, Wang ZX, Guo ZH, Bai YP, Shao L (2014) Recent advances in polymeric solvent-resistant nanofiltration membranes advances in polymer technology 33Google Scholar
- Gevers LE, Vankelecom IF, Jacobs PA (2005) Zeolite filled polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS) as an improved membrane for solvent-resistant nanofiltration (SRNF). Chemical communications:2500–2502Google Scholar
- Jiang J-Q, Yang C-X, Yan X-P (2013) Zeolitic imidazolate framework-8 for fast adsorption and removal of benzotriazoles from aqueous solution ACS applied materials & interfaces. 5:9837–9842Google Scholar
- Vanherck K, Vandezande P, Aldea SO, Vankelecom IF (2008) Cross-linked polyimide membranes for solvent resistant nanofiltration in aprotic solvents Journal of Membrane Science 320:468–476Google Scholar
- Zhai Z, Zhao N, Dong W, Li P, Sun H, Niu QJ (2019) In situ assembly of a zeolite imidazolate framework hybrid thin-film nanocomposite membrane with enhanced desalination performance induced by Noria–polyethyleneimine codeposition ACS applied materials & interfaces 11:12871–12879Google Scholar