Hydroxyl radical-mediated degradation of salicylic acid and methyl paraben: an experimental and computational approach to assess the reaction mechanisms
- 5 Downloads
Advanced oxidation processes (AOPs) using various energy sources and oxidants to produce reactive oxygen species are widely used for the destruction of recalcitrant water contaminants. The current study is about the degradation of two emerging pollutants—salicylic acid (SA) and methyl paraben (MP)—by high-frequency ultrasonication followed by identification of the oxidation byproducts and modeling of the reaction mechanisms using the density functional theory (DFT). The study also encompasses prediction of the aquatic toxicity and potential risk of the identified byproducts to some aquatic organisms bussing the ECOSAR (Ecological Structure Activity Relationships) protocol. It was found that the degradation of both compounds was governed by •OH attack and the pathways consisted of a cascade of reactions. The rate determining steps were decarboxylation (~ 60 kcal mol−1) and bond breakage reactions (~ 80 kcal mol−1), which were triggered by the stability of the reaction byproducts and overcome by the applied reaction conditions. Estimated values of the acute toxicities showed that only few of the byproducts were harmful to aquatic organisms, implying the environmental friendliness of the experimental method.
KeywordsPPCPs –OH DFT Sonolysis Reaction mechanism AOPs ECOSAR
The experimental part of the study was funded by Boğazici University Research Fund (BAP) through Project 18Y00D1.
- Agopcan Cinar S, Ziylan-Yavaş A, Catak S, Ince NH, Aviyente V (2017) Hydroxyl radical-mediated degradation of diclofenac revisited: a computational approach to assessment of reaction mechanisms and by-products. Environ Sci Pollut Res 24:18458–18469. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11356-017-9482-7 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Amin A, Chauhan S, Dare M, Bansal AK (2010) Degradation of parabens by Pseudomonas beteli and Burkholderia latens. Eur J Pharm Biopharm: Official Journal of Arbeitsgemeinschaft für Pharmazeutische Verfahrenstechnik 75(2):206–212. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejpb.2010.03.001
- ECOSAR, (2014) http://www.epa.gov/oppt/newchems/tools/21ecosar.
- Fang H, Gao Y, Li G, An J, Wong PK, Fu H, Yao S, Nie X, An T (2013) Advanced oxidation kinetics and mechanism of preservative propylparaben degradation in aqueous suspension of TiO2 and risk assessment of its degradation products. Environ Sci Technol 47:2704–2712. https://doi.org/10.1021/es304898r CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Frisch MJ, Trucks GW, Schlegel HB, et al (2009) Gaussian 09 Revision E.01. Gaussian 09, Revis. E.01Google Scholar
- Guinea E, Arias C, Cabot PL, Garrido JA, Rodríguez RM, Centellas F, Brillas E (2008) Mineralization of salicylic acid in acidic aqueous medium by electrochemical advanced oxidation processes using platinum and boron-doped diamond as anode and cathodically generated hydrogen peroxide. Water Res 42:499–511. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2007.07.046 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ince NH (2018), Ultrasound-assisted advanced oxidation processes for water decontamination. Ultrason Sonochem 40 (B):97–103. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ultsonch.2017.04.009
- Lee C, Hill C, Carolina N (1988) Role of massage in the management of an athlete. Pdf. 37:. doi: https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevB.37.785
- Márquez-sillero I, Aguilera-herrador E, Cárdenas S, Valcárcel M (2010) Determination of parabens in cosmetic products using multi-walled carbon nanotubes as solid phase extraction sorbent and corona-charged aerosol detection system. 1217:1–6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chroma.2009.11.005
- Mason TJ, and Peters D. 2002. Practical sonochemistry: power ultrasound uses and applications. Woodhead Publishing. bookGoogle Scholar
- Nakada N, Shinohara H, Murata A, Kiri K, Managaki S, Sato N, Takada H (2007) Removal of selected pharmaceuticals and personal care products (PPCPs) and endocrine-disrupting chemicals (EDCs) during sand filtration and ozonation at a municipal sewage treatment plant. Water Res 41:4373–4382CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ramaswamy BR, Kim JW, Isobe T, Chang KH, Amano A, Miller TW, Siringan FP, Tanabe S (2011) Determination of preservative and antimicrobial compounds in fish from Manila Bay, Philippines using ultra high performance liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry, and assessment of human dietary exposure. J Hazard Mater 192:1739–1745. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2011.07.006 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Taylor P, Stamatis NK Personal care compounds and caffeine tracer in municipal sewage treatment plant in Western Greece. J Environ Sci Health, Part B: Personal Care Compounds and Caffeine Tracer in Municipal Sewage Treatment Plant in Western Greece Occurrence and Removal of Emerging Pharmaceutical, 37–41. https://doi.org/10.1080/03601234.2013.781359
- Wales S, Kasprzyk-hordern B, Dinsdale RM, Guwy AJ (2008) The occurrence of pharmaceuticals ,personal care products , endocrine disruptors and illicit drugs in surface water in. 42:3498–3518. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2008.04.026