The effects of naringin on different cyclophosphamide-induced organ toxicities in rats: investigation of changes in some metabolic enzyme activities
- 53 Downloads
Cyclophosphamide (CYP) is a common anticancer drug used in the treatment of various malignancies. Naringin (NG) is a natural bioflavonoid that have been reported to have many medicinal and pharmacological properties. Acetylcholinesterase (AChE), butyrylcholinesterase (BChE), carbonic anhydrase (CA), α-glycosidase (α-Gly), and aldose reductase (AR) enzymes are the essential biological molecules needed for metabolic processes in all living cells. In the present study, the aim was to investigate the effect of NG against CYP-induced liver, brain, kidney, heart, and testis toxicities on some metabolic enzyme activities such as AChE, BChE, CA, α-Gly, and AR. Thirty-five male Wistar rats were randomly divided into five groups with each group consisting of seven rats. The rats were subjected to oral treatment of NG (50 and 100 mg/kg body weight) for 7 days before administering a single dose of CYP (200 mg/kg body weight, i.p) on the seventh day. Treatment with NG in all tissues regulated these enzyme activities in CYP-induced rats. The results of this study showed that NG regulates abnormal increases and decreases in CYP-induced metabolic enzyme activities in all tissues.
KeywordsAcetylcholinesterase Aldose reductase Butyrylcholinesterase Carbonic anhydrase Cyclophosphamide Naringin
The author thanks Assist. Prof. Yusuf Temel, Prof. Dr. Fatih Mehmet Kandemir, and Prof. Dr. İlhami Gülçin for their valuable contributions to this study.
This work was financially supported by Bingol University, Foundation of Scientific Researches Projects (Project number BAPSSHMYO.2016.00.001).
Compliance with ethical standards
The study was designed and conducted according to ethical norms approved by the Animal Experimentation Ethics Committee of the Bingol University (Bingol, Turkey) (Approval no. 2018-9/2).
Conflict of interest
The author declares that he has no conflict of interest.
- Benzer F, Kandemir FM, Kucukler S, Comaklı S, Caglayan C (2018) Chemoprotective effects of curcumin on doxorubicin-induced nephrotoxicity in wistar rats: by modulating inflammatory cytokines, apoptosis, oxidative stress and oxidative DNA damage. Arch Physiol Biochem 1–10Google Scholar
- Caglayan C, Demir Y, Kucukler S, Taslimi P, Kandemir FM, Gulçin İ (2018a) The effects of hesperidin on sodium arsenite-induced different organ toxicity in rats on metabolic enzymes as antidiabetic and anticholinergics potentials: a biochemical approach. J Food Biochem:e12720Google Scholar
- Caglayan C, Kandemir FM, Yıldırım S, Kucukler S, Kılınc MA, Saglam YS (2018b) Zingerone ameliorates cisplatin-induced ovarian and uterine toxicity via suppression of sex hormone imbalances, oxidative stress, inflammation and apoptosis in female wistar rats. Biomed Pharmacother 102:517–530CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Caglayan C, Temel Y, Kandemir FM, Yildirim S, Kucukler S (2018c): Naringin protects against cyclophosphamide-induced hepatotoxicity and nephrotoxicity through modulation of oxidative stress, inflammation, apoptosis, autophagy, and DNA damage. Environ Sci Pollut Res, 1–17Google Scholar
- Eldutar E, Kandemir FM, Kucukler S, Caglayan C (2017) Restorative effects of Chrysin pretreatment on oxidant–antioxidant status, inflammatory cytokine production, and apoptotic and autophagic markers in acute paracetamol-induced hepatotoxicity in rats: an experimental and biochemical study. J Biochem Mol Toxicol 31:e21960CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Gülçin İ, Scozzafava A, Supuran CT, Koksal Z, Turkan F, Çetinkaya S, Bingöl Z, Huyut Z, Alwasel SH (2016) Rosmarinic acid inhibits some metabolic enzymes including glutathione S-transferase, lactoperoxidase, acetylcholinesterase, butyrylcholinesterase and carbonic anhydrase isoenzymes. J Enzyme Inhib Med Chem 31:1698–1702CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Gulçin İ, Abbasova M, Taslimi P, Huyut Z, Safarova L, Sujayev A, Farzaliyev V, Beydemir Ş, Alwasel SH, Supuran CT (2017) Synthesis and biological evaluation of aminomethyl and alkoxymethyl derivatives as carbonic anhydrase, acetylcholinesterase and butyrylcholinesterase inhibitors. J Enzyme Inhib Med Chem 32:1174–1182CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Jagetia G, Lalrinengi C (2017) Treatment of mice with naringin alleviates the doxorubicin-induced oxidative stress in the liver of Swiss albino mice. MOJ Anat Physiol 4:00130Google Scholar
- Jagetia GC, Reddy TK (2014) The grape fruit flavonone naringin protects mice against doxorubicin-induced cardiotoxicity. J Mol Biochem:3Google Scholar
- Jalali AS, Hasanzadeh S, Malekinejad H (2012) Crataegus monogyna aqueous extract ameliorates cyclophosphamide-induced toxicity in rat testis: stereological evidences. Acta Med Iran 50:1–8Google Scholar
- Kandemir F, Küçükler S, Çağlayan C (2017a) Beneficial effects of silymarin and naringin against methotrexate-induced hepatotoxicity in rats. Atatürk Üniversitesi Veteriner Bilimleri Dergisi 12:167–177Google Scholar
- Kandemir FM, Kucukler S, Caglayan C, Gur C, Batil AA, Gülçin İ (2017b) Therapeutic effects of silymarin and naringin on methotrexate-induced nephrotoxicity in rats: biochemical evaluation of anti-inflammatory, antiapoptotic, and antiautophagic properties. J Food Biochem 41:e12398CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kim H, Bartley GE, Arvik T, Lipson R, Nah S-Y, Seo K, Yokoyama W (2014) Dietary supplementation of chardonnay grape seed flour reduces plasma cholesterol concentration, hepatic steatosis, and abdominal fat content in high-fat diet-induced obese hamsters. J Agric Food Chem 62:1919–1925CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kocyigit UM, Taşkıran AŞ, Taslimi P, Yokuş A, Temel Y, Gulçin İ (2017b) Inhibitory effects of oxytocin and oxytocin receptor antagonist atosiban on the activities of carbonic anhydrase and acetylcholinesterase enzymes in the liver and kidney tissues of rats. J Biochem Mol Toxicol 31:e21972CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Sinanoglu O, Yener AN, Ekici S, Midi A, Aksungar FB (2012): The protective effects of spirulina in cyclophosphamide induced nephrotoxicity and urotoxicity in rats. Urology 80, 1392. e1-1392. e6Google Scholar
- Taslimi P, Aslan HE, Demir Y, Oztaskin N, Maraş A, Gulçin İ, Beydemir S, Goksu S (2018a) Diarylmethanon, bromophenol and diarylmethane compounds: discovery of potent aldose reductase, α-amylase and α-glycosidase inhibitors as new therapeutic approach in diabetes and functional hyperglycemia. Int J Biol Macromol 119:857–863CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Taslimi P, Caglayan C, Farzaliyev V, Nabiyev O, Sujayev A, Turkan F, Kaya R, Gulçin İ (2018b) Synthesis and discovery of potent carbonic anhydrase, acetylcholinesterase, butyrylcholinesterase, and α-glycosidase enzymes inhibitors: the novel N, N′-bis-cyanomethylamine and alkoxymethylamine derivatives. J Biochem Mol Toxicol 32:e22042CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Taslimi P, Osmanova S, Caglayan C, Turkan F, Sardarova S, Farzaliyev V, Sujayev A, Sadeghian N, Gulçin İ (2018c) Novel amides of 1, 1-bis-(carboxymethylthio)-1-arylethanes: synthesis, characterization, acetylcholinesterase, butyrylcholinesterase, and carbonic anhydrase inhibitory properties. J Biochem Mol Toxicol 32:e22191CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Topal M, Gocer H, Topal F, Kalin P, Köse LP, Gülçin İ, Çakmak KC, Küçük M, Durmaz L, Gören AC (2016) Antioxidant, antiradical, and anticholinergic properties of cynarin purified from the Illyrian thistle (Onopordum illyricum L.). J. Enzyme Inhib. Med Chem 31:266–275Google Scholar
- Turk E, Kandemir FM, Yildirim S, Caglayan C, Kucukler S, Kuzu M (2018): Protective effect of hesperidin on sodium arsenite-induced nephrotoxicity and hepatotoxicity in rats. Biol. Trace Elem. Res., 1–14Google Scholar
- Türkan F, Huyut Z, Taslimi P, Gülçin İ (2018) The effects of some antibiotics from cephalosporin groups on the acetylcholinesterase and butyrylcholinesterase enzymes activities in different tissues of rats. Arch Physiol Biochem 1–7Google Scholar
- Türkeş C, Demir Y, Beydemir Ş (2019) Anti-diabetic properties of calcium channel blockers: inhibition effects on aldose reductase enzyme activity. Appl Biochem Biotechnol 1–12Google Scholar
- Verpoorte JA, Mehta S, Edsall JT (1967) Esterase activities of human carbonic anhydrases B and C. J Biol Chem 242:4221–4229Google Scholar
- Wang M, Barve S, McClain C, Joshi-Barve S (2018) Role of aldose reductase in LPS-inducible intrahepatic immune infiltration and inflammation. FASEB J 32:–832.3Google Scholar