Use of alternating current for colored water purification by anodic oxidation with SS/PbO2 and Pb/PbO2 electrodes
- 25 Downloads
This paper suggests a new alternative for the acceleration of dye removal by adopting alternating current instead of direct current in the treatment of methylene blue solutions and industrials effluents, using anodic oxidation on Pb/PbO2 and stainless steel (SS)/PbO2 anodes. A comparative study of the influence of electrolyte support (NaCl, NaNO3, and Na2SO4) on the anodic oxidation performance and the anode stability was performed. The best results were obtained in presence of NaCl where the color removal percentage reached about 80.13% and 55.8%, for Pb/PbO2 anodes, and 89.5% and 60.4% for the SS/PbO2 anodes for alternating and direct current, respectively. Treatment in alternating current conditions enhanced the removal speed. Atomic absorption analysis confirmed the decrease of the release of (Pb2+) ions to much lower values compared with direct current and to those allowed by the Standards. LC/MS and phytotoxicity analyses confirmed the non-toxicity of the generated by-products during the anodic oxidation of methylene blue and the possibility of the reuse of the treated water.
KeywordsAnodic oxidation Alternating current Direct current, Pb/PbO2 SS/PbO2
The authors are particularly grateful for the Laboratory of Wastewaters and Environment located in the Center of water researches and technologies, CERTE Borj Cedria (Tunisia) and the Centre Grup de Técniques de Separació en Química (GTS) of Universitat Autónoma de Barcelona (UAB, Spain).
Special regards are also due to Pr. Kamel MAALOUL, translator and English language proofreading expert, for his valuable help with proofreading and language polishing of the manuscript.
The study was financially supported by the Laboratory of Energy and Materials (High School of Sciences and Technology of Hammam Sousse, Tunisia).
- Azzaz AA, Jellai S, Akrout H, Assadi AA, Bousselmi L (2018) Dynamic investigations on cationic dye desorption from chemically modified lignocellulosic material using a low-cost eluent: dye recovery and anodic oxidation efficiencies of the desorbed solutions. JCLP 201:28–38. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2018.08.023 Google Scholar
- Colombo A, Nivaldo Módenes A, Estelita Góes Trigueros D, Isabelly Giordani da Costa S, Henrique Borba F, Rodolfo Espinoza-Quiñones F (2019) Treatment of sanitary landfill leachate by the combination of photo-Fenton and biological processes. J Clean Prod 214:145–153. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2018.12.310 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- De Souza Renata BA, Ruotolo LAM (2013) Phenol electrooxidation in different supporting electrolytes using boron-doped diamond anodes. Int J Electrochem Sci 8:643–657Google Scholar
- El-Ghenymy A, Centellas F, Rodríguez RM, Cabot PL, Garrido JA, Sirés I, Brillas E (2015) Comparative use of anodic oxidation, electro-Fenton and photoelectro-Fenton with Pt or boron-doped diamond anode to decolorize and mineralize Malachite Green oxalate dye. Electrochim Acta 182: 247–256. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.electacta.2015.09.078
- Guzmán-Duque FL, Palma-Goyes RE, González I, Pe˜nuela G, Torres-Palma RA (2014) Relationship between anode material, supporting electrolyte and current density during electrochemical degradation of organic compounds in water. J Hazard Mater 278:221–226. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2014.05.076 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Hammami S (2008) Etude de dégradation des colorants de textile par les procédés d’oxydation avancée : application à la dépollution des rejets industriels. Thèse de doctorat, Université Tunis El Manar. TunisieGoogle Scholar
- Holzwarth U Gibson N (2011) The Scherrer equation versus the ‘Debye–Scherrer equation, Nature Nanotechnology -6- SeptemberGoogle Scholar
- Louhichi G, Bousselmi L, Ghrabi A, Khouni I (2018) Process optimization via response surface methodologyin the physico-chemical treatment of vegetable oil refinery wastewater. Environ Sci Pollut Res 1-19. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11356-018-2657-z
- Mook WT, Aroua MK, Chakrabarti MH, Low CTJ, Aravind PV, Brandon NP (2013) The application of nano-crystalline PbO2 as an anode for the simultaneous bio-electrochemical denitrification and organic matter removal in an up-flow undivided reactor. Electrochim Acta 94:327–335. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.electacta.2013.02.001 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Olesya VR, Ivan YS (2011) Electrochemical method of discharged waters cleaning with of alternating current. J Siberian Federal Univ Eng Technol 3:348–355Google Scholar
- Othmani A, Kesraoui, Seffen M (2017) The alternating and direct current effect on the elimination of cationic and anionic dye from aqueous solutions by electrocoagulation and coagulation flocculation. Euro Mediterr J Environ Integration 2:1–12. https://doi.org/10.1007/s41207-017-0016-y CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Rauf MA, Meetani A, Khaleel A, Ahmed (2010) Photocatalytic degradation of Methylene Blue using a mixed catalyst and product analysis by LC/MS, Chem Eng J 157:373–378. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cej.2009.11.017
- Shul’gin LP, Kosyakov AL, Kochetkova RD, Petra VI (1975) Inventor’s certificate N°529124. In: Byull.IzobretGoogle Scholar
- Trabelsi H (2014) Etude de la dégradabilité et de la toxicité des colorants par ozonation et photocatalyse. Thèse de doctorat. Université de Monastir. TunisieGoogle Scholar