Copper and cerium co-doped cobalt ferrite nanoparticles: structural, morphological, optical, magnetic, and photocatalytic properties
- 338 Downloads
A rapid synthetic technique is investigated for magnetic nanoparticles (Co1−yCuyFe2−xCexO4 (x = 0, y = 0), (x = 0.05, y = 0), (x = 0, y = 0.5), and (x = 0.05, y = 0.5)). The structure, morphology, optical and magnetic performance of prepared nanoparticles are analyzed by powder XRD, XPS, FT-IR, SEM-EDAX, TEM, DRS, and VSM. The photocatalytic activity of the synthesized nanoparticles for the removal of the Congo red (CR) dye and bisphenol A (BPA) from aqueous solution is examined by UV–visible spectrometer. Research indicates that the co-doping of Cu2+ and Ce3+ showed marked effect on the structural, optical, magnetic, and photocatalytic properties of the CoFe2O4 nanoparticles. DRS showed that the Co0.5Cu0.5Fe1.95Ce0.05O4 nanoparticles have lower band gap energy (0.78 eV) than other synthesized compounds. High removal percentage of CR and BPA (99.09% and 99.33%) was observed within 30 min and 180 min under visible and UV–light illumination respectively using Co0.5Cu0.5Fe1.95Ce0.05O4. The corresponding photocatalytic degradation kinetics and mechanism are analyzed.
KeywordsCobalt ferrite Combustion Photocatalytic activity Congo red Bisphenol A
We would like to thank the VIT management for giving all essential facilities and seed grant for research to complete the analysis.
- Balavijayalakshmi J, Suriyanarayanan N, Jayapraksah R (2012) Influence of copper on the magnetic properties of cobalt ferrite nano particles. Mater Lett 81:52–54Google Scholar
- Bechambi O, Sayadi S, Najjar W (2015) Photocatalytic degradation of bisphenol A in the presence of C-doped ZnO: effect of operational parameters and photodegradation mechanism. J Inst Eng Chem 32:201–210Google Scholar
- Davó-Quinonero A, Lozano-Castelló D, Bueno-López (2017) Unexpected stability of CuO/cryptomelane catalyst under preferential oxidation of CO reaction conditions in the presence of CO2 and H2O Appl Catal B: Environ 217:459–465. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apcatb.2017.05.095
- Jiang R, Zhu H-Y, Li J-B, Fu F-Q, Yao J, Jiang S-T, Zeng G-M (2016) Fabrication of novel magnetically separable BiOBr/CoFe2O4 microspheres and its application in the efficient removal of dye from aqueous phase by an environment-friendly and economical approach. Appl Surf Sci 364:604–612CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ravikumar CR, Kotteeswaran P, Murugan A, Raju VB, Santosh MS, Nagaswarupa HP, Nagabhushana H, Prashanth SC, Anilkumar MR, Gurushanth K (2017) Electrochemical studies of nano metal oxide reinforced nickel hydroxide materials for energy storage applications. Mater Today: Proceedings 4:12205–12214Google Scholar
- Yadav RS, Kuritka I, Havlica J, Hnatko M, Alexander C, Masilko J, Kalina L, Hajdúchová M, Rusnak J, Enev V (2018a) Structural, magnetic, elastic, dielectric and electrical properties of hotpress sintered Co1-xZnxFe2O4 (x = 0.0, 0.5) spinel ferrite nanoparticles. J Magn Magn Mater 447:48–57CrossRefGoogle Scholar