Thymoquinone ameliorates pulmonary vascular damage induced byEscherichia coli–derived lipopolysaccharide via cytokine downregulation in rats
- 83 Downloads
Our study investigated the ameliorative effects of thymoquinone (TQ) on the pulmonary blood vessels which were injured after intratracheal administration of Escherichia coli–derived lipopolysaccharide (LPS) in a rat model. Forty rats (150 ± 50 g) were randomly divided into four groups equally. The first group was intratracheally administered LPS (Escherichia coli O55:B5) at a dose 200 μg. The second group was co-administered intraperitoneal injection of TQ and LPS daily for one week. The third group was provided intraperitoneal injection of 1 mg of TQ. The fourth group was administered normal saline intratracheally at the rate of 200 μl. The results revealed that cytokine level of interleukin-1 beta (IL-1β) and tumor necrosis factor alpha (TNFα) in serum was reduced in TQ-treated rats. Immunohistochemical study showed that expression of NF-kB was countered in the lung tissue by the application of TQ. In addition, the lesion score for various pathological aberrations were checked when rats were treated with TQ. From the results of the present study, it was concluded that TQ has an ameliorative effect on the pulmonary blood vascular damage via rearrangement of the cytokines in response to LPS injury in the rat model.
KeywordsArteriolar smooth muscles Lipopolysaccharide Rats Thymoquinone
This research received funding from the Deanship of Scientific Research at King Saud University through the Research Group Project No. RGP-273.
- Abudabos AM, Alyemni AH, Dafalla YM, Khan RU (2018) The effect of phytogenics on growth traits, blood biochemical and intestinal histology in broiler chickens exposed to Clostridium perfringens challenge. Journal of Applied Animal Research 46:691–695Google Scholar
- El Aziz AE, El Sayed NS, Mahran LG (2011) Anti-asthmatic and anti-allergic effects of thymoquinone on airway-induced hypersensitivity in experimental animals. J Applied Pharmaceut Sci 1:109–117Google Scholar
- Hou Y, Zhang H, Xie G, Cao X, Zhao Y, Liu Y, Mao Z, Yang J, Wu C (2013) Neuronal injury, but not microglia activation, is associated with ketamine-induced experimental schizophrenic model in mice. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 45:107–116Google Scholar
- Kundu J, Chun KS, Aruoma OI, Kundu JK (2014) Mechanistic perspectives on cancer chemoprevention/chemotherapeutic effects of thymoquinone. Mutation Research/Fundamental and Molecular Mechanisms of Mutagenesis 768:22–34Google Scholar
- Rivera S, Liu L, Nemeth E, Gabayan V, Sorensen OE, Ganz T (2005) Hepcidin excess induces the sequestration of iron and exacerbates tumor-associated anemia. Blood 105(4):1797–1802Google Scholar