Fluorene-9-bisphenol inhibits epithelial-mesenchymal transition of human endometrial cancer Ishikawa cells by repressing TGF-β signaling pathway
- 105 Downloads
Fluorene-9-bisphenol (BHPF), a new derivative of bisphenol A (BPA), has been introduced for treatment with estrogen-related tumors, such as endometrial cancer. This study investigated the potential mechanism underlying the action of BHPF against endometrial cancer in vitro. We used the cell counting kit-8 (CCK8) method on Ishikawa cells to screen sub-lethal doses of BHPF and established the optimal concentration at which BHPF influenced the proliferation of Ishikawa cells. Effect of BHPF on cell migration and invasion was investigated by cell scratch assay and transwell assay, respectively. Expression levels of epithelial-mesenchymal transition (EMT)–related proteins were detected by Western blot analysis. BHPF was found to inhibit the proliferation of Ishikawa cells, whose migration and invasion abilities were also reduced. Western blot indicated that BHPF can significantly inhibit the EMT process of Ishikawa cells by blocking transforming growth factor-β (TGF-β) signaling pathway. This is the first report of the effect of BHPF on the biological behavior of endometrial cancer cells and its inhibition of endometrial cancer progression by repressing both endometrial cell proliferation and epithelial-mesenchymal transition, hence suggesting it as a novel anti-cancer drug.
KeywordsFluorene-9-bisphenol Endometrial cancer Epithelial-mesenchymal transition TGF-β signaling pathway
We thank Dr. Zhaobin Zhang for his assistance with the preparation of BHPF samples.
This work was supported by the Beijing Municipal Science & Technology Commission for capital characteristic clinic project (Grant No. Z141107002514128).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Afrin S, Giampieri F, Gasparrini M, Forbes-Hernandez TY, Cianciosi D, Reboredo-Rodriguez P, Zhang J, Manna PP, Daglia M, Atanasov AG et al. (2018) Dietary phytochemicals in colorectal cancer prevention and treatment: A focus on the molecular mechanisms involved. Biotechnology advances. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biotechadv.2018.11.011
- Bin C, Xiaofeng H, Wanzi X (2018) The effect of microRNA-129 on the migration and invasion in NSCLC cells and its mechanism. Exp Lung Res:1–8Google Scholar
- Mariscal, J., P. Fernandez-Puente, V. Calamia, A. Abalo, M. Santacana, X. Matias-Guiu, R. Lopez-Lopez, A. Gil-Moreno, L. Alonso-Alconada, and M. Abal (2018) Proteomic characterization of epithelial-like extracellular vesicles in advanced endometrial cancer. J Proteome ResGoogle Scholar
- Menendez JA, Oza BP, Atlas E, Verma VA, Mehmi I, Lupu R (2004) Inhibition of tumour-associated fatty acid synthase activity antagonizes estradiol- and tamoxifen-induced agonist transactivation of estrogen receptor (ER) in human endometrial adenocarcinoma cells. Oncogene 23(28):4945–4958CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Mitra P, Kalailingam P, Tan HB, Thanabalu T (2018) Overexpression of GRB2 enhances epithelial to mesenchymal transition of A549 cells by upregulating SNAIL expression. Cells 7(8)Google Scholar
- Okazaki H, Takeda S, Kakizoe K, Taniguchi A, Tokuyasu M, Himeno T, Ishii H, Kohro-Ikeda E, Haraguchi K, Watanabe K, Aramaki H (2017) Bisphenol AF as an Inducer of Estrogen Receptor beta (ERbeta): Evidence for anti-estrogenic effects at higher concentrations in human breast cancer cells. Biol Pharm Bull 40(11):1909–1916CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Randall ME, Filiaci VL, Muss H, Spirtos NM, Mannel RS, Fowler J, Thigpen JT, Benda JA, Gynecologic Oncology Group (2006) Randomized phase III trial of whole-abdominal irradiation versus doxorubicin and cisplatin chemotherapy in advanced endometrial carcinoma: a Gynecologic Oncology Group Study. J Clin Oncol 24(1):36–44CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Tangjitgamol S, Anderson BO, See HT, Lertbutsayanukul C, Sirisabya N, Manchana T, Ilancheran A, Lee KM, Lim SE, Chia YN, Domingo E, Kim YT, Lai CH, Dali AZ, Supakapongkul W, Wilailak S, Tay EH, Kavanagh J, Asian Oncology S (2009) Management of endometrial cancer in Asia: consensus statement from the Asian Oncology Summit 2009. Lancet Oncol 10(11):1119–1127CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Yamazaki R, Inokuchi M, Ishikawa S, Myojo S, Iwadare J, Bono Y, Mizumoto Y, Nakamura M, Takakura M, Iizuka T, Ohta T, Fujiwara H (2015) Tamoxifen-induced ovarian hyperstimulation during premenopausal hormonal therapy for breast cancer in Japanese women. Springerplus 4(425)Google Scholar
- Zhang L, Zhou D, Guan W, Ren W, Sun W, Shi J, Lin Q, Zhang J, Qiao T, Ye Y, Wu Y, Zhang Y, Zuo X, Connor KL, Xu G (2017a) Pyridoxine 5’-phosphate oxidase is a novel therapeutic target and regulated by the TGF-beta signalling pathway in epithelial ovarian cancer. Cell Death Dis 8(12):3214CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zhang Z, Hu Y, Guo J, Yu T, Sun L, Xiao X, Zhu D, Nakanishi T, Hiromori Y, Li J, Fan X, Wan Y, Cheng S, Li J, Guo X, Hu J (2017b) Fluorene-9-bisphenol is anti-oestrogenic and may cause adverse pregnancy outcomes in mice. Nat Commun 8(14585)Google Scholar