Influence on the effect of titanium dioxide nanoparticles as an additive with Mimusops elengi methyl ester in a CI engine
The current investigation has been aimed at the effective utilization of the alternative renewable feedstock towards propelling the diesel engine. A novel alternative feedstock, which is abundantly present in the south of India, Mimusops elengi was identified for this present investigation. The study was initiated with 20% of Mimusops elengi and methyl ester (B20) was blended with fossil diesel fuel on a volume basis. Moreover, it was observed that on the trade-off between the performance characteristics; the emission quantity was marginally higher. Concentrating on the environmental pollution caused by the diesel engine, an oxygenated nano additive, titanium oxide, was doped with the base fuel at different mass fractions of 25, 50, 75, and 100 parts per million (ppm). The result observed states that B20 with 25 ppm of titanium oxide nanoparticle (B20 + 25 ppm) established a 3.60% improvement in BTE (brake thermal efficiency) as equated with B20; furthermore, it resulted in 14.2% and 17.4% reduction in hydrocarbon and smoke emission, respectively, though it resulted in a marginal penalty of 14.72% in NOx.
KeywordsMimusops elengi oil Transesterification Titanium oxide Nano additive Combustion Emission Performance;
The author and his co-researcher wish to extend their earnest thanks to sophisticated Test and Instrumentation Centre Kochi University P.O, Kochi,Kerala, India,for characterization of TiO2 nanoparticle and the staffs of the Department of Mechanical Engineering, Sree Vidyanikethan Engineering College, Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh, towards their accompaniment in performing this research project.
ASTM American Society for Testing and Materials.
CI Compression ignition.
DI Direct injection.
CA Crank angle.
bTDC before top dead center.
TiO2 Titanium dioxide.
MEME20 20% of mimusops elangi methyl ester + 80% of diesel.
SEM Scanning electron microscopy.
XRD X-ray diffractometer.
EDXS Energy dispersive spectrum.
FTIR Fourier transform infrared.
PPM Parts per million.
EGR Exhaust gas recirculation.
BTE Brake thermal efficiency.
EGT Exhaust gas temperature.
NOx Oxides of nitrogen.
- Annamalai M, Dhinesh B, Nanthagopal K, SivaramaKrishnan P, Lalvani JIJR, Parthasarathy M, Annamalai K (2016) An assessment on performance, combustion and emission behavior of a diesel engine powered by ceria nanoparticle blended emulsified biofuel. Energy Convers Manag 123:372–380Google Scholar
- Ayatallah G, Mirsalim M, Hosseini R (2017) Effects of waste fish oil biodiesel on diesel engine combustion characteristics and emission. Renew Energy 101:930–936Google Scholar
- Balasubramanian D, Arumugam SRS, Subramani L, Chellakumar IJLJS, Mani A (2018) A numerical study on the effect of various combustion bowl parameters on the performance, combustion, and emission behavior on a single cylinder diesel engine. Environ Sci Pollut Res 25(3):2273–2284Google Scholar
- Chandrasekaran V, Arthanarisamy M, Nachiappan P, Hanakotti SD, Moorthy B (2016) The role of nano additives for biodiesel and diesel blended transportation fuels. Transp Res D 46:145–156Google Scholar
- Dhinesh B, Isaac JoshuaRamesh Lalvani J, Parthasarathy M, Annamalai K (2016) An assessment on performance, emission and combustion characteristics of single cylinder diesel engine powered by Cymbopogon flexuosus biofuel. Energy Convers Manag 117:466–474Google Scholar
- Dhinesh B, Bharathi RN, Lalvani JIJ, Parthasarathy M, Annamalai K (2017) An experimental analysis on the influence of fuel borne additives on the single cylinder diesel engine powered by Cymbopogon flexuosus biofuel. J Energy Inst 90(4):634–645Google Scholar
- Karron F, Wanriko P, Fangsuwannarak T (2016) Effect of bio-polymer additive on the fuel properties of palm biodiesel and on engine performance analysis and exhaust emission. Energy Procedia 100:227–236Google Scholar
- Karthikeyan S, Prathima A (2017) Environmental effect of CI engine using microalgae methyl ester with doped nano additives. Transp Res D 50:385–396Google Scholar
- Krupakaran RL, Hariprasad T, Gopalakrishna A (2016) The performance and exhaust emissions investigation of a diesel engine using γ-Al2O3 nanoparticle additives to biodiesel. Carbon Management 7(3–4):233–241Google Scholar
- Krupakaran RL, Hariprasad T, Gopalakrishna A (2018b) Influence of injection timing on engine performance, emission characteristics of Mimusops Elangi methyl Ester. International Journal of Ambient Energy 1–10. https://doi.org/10.1080/01430750.2018.1472639
- Nanthagopal K, Ashok B, Garnepudi RS, Tarun KR, Dhinesh B (2019) Investigation on diethyl ether as an additive with Calophyllum Inophyllum biodiesel for CI engine application. Energy Convers Manag 179:104–113Google Scholar
- Pinkesh RS, Ganesh A (2016) A comparative study on influence of fuel additives with edible and non-edible vegetable oil based on fuel characterization and engine characteristics of diesel engine. Appl Therm Eng 102:800–812Google Scholar
- Sachuthananthan B, Krupakaran RL, Balaji G (2019) Exploration on the behavior pattern of a DI diesel engine using magnesium oxide nano additive with plastic pyrolysis oil as alternate fuel. International Journal of Ambient Energy 1–12. https://doi.org/10.1080/01430750.2018.1563812
- Saddam H A-l, Yusaf T (2017) Diesel engine performance and exhaust gas emissions using Microalgae Chlorella protothecoides biodiesel. Renew Energy 101:690–701Google Scholar
- Sadhik Basha J (2018) Impact of carbon nanotubes and Di-ethyl ether as additives with biodiesel emulsion fuels in a diesel engine – an experimental investigation. J Energy Inst 91(2):289–303Google Scholar
- Seyed MRM, Seyed RMS, Ghobadian B (2017) Effects of biodiesel fuel synthesized from non-edible rapeseed oil on performance and emission variables of diesel engines. J Clean Prod 142:3798–3808Google Scholar
- Soner G, Ozcan H, Ozbey M, Topaloglu B (2016) Aluminum oxide and copper oxide nanodiesel fuel properties and usage in a compression ignition engine. Fuel 163:80–87Google Scholar
- Vairamuthu G, Sundarapandian S, Kailasanathan C, Thangagiri B (2016) Experimental investigation on the effects of cerium oxide nanoparticle on Calophyllum inophyllum (Punnai) biodiesel blended with diesel fuel in DI diesel engine modified by nozzle geometry. J Energy Inst 89:668–682Google Scholar
- Vigneswaran R, Annamalai K, Dhinesh B, Krishnamoorthy R (2018) Experimental investigation of unmodified diesel engine performance, combustion and emission with multipurpose additive along with water-in-diesel emulsion fuel. Energy Convers Manag 172:370–380Google Scholar