Characterization of the Cd(II) and nitrate removal by bacterium Acinetobacter sp. SZ28 under different electron donor conditions
- 32 Downloads
In this study, zero-valent iron (ZVI), nanoscale zero-valent iron (nZVI), Fe(II), and Mn(II) were investigated for their effects on mixotrophic denitrification coupled with cadmium (Cd(II)) adsorption process by Acinetobacter sp. SZ28. The removal rates of nitrate were 0.228 mg L−1 h−1 (ZVI), 0.133 mg L−1 h−1 (nZVI), 0.309 mg L−1 h−1 (Fe(II)) and 0.234 mg L−1 h−1 (Mn(II)), respectively. The Cd(II) removal efficiencies were 97.23% (ZVI), 95.79% (nZVI), 80.63% (Fe(II)), and 84.58% (Mn(II)), respectively. Meteorological chromatography analysis indicated that the characteristics of gas composition were different under different electron donor conditions. Moreover, characterization of bacterial metabolites produced by strain SZ28 under different conditions was analyzed. Sequence amplification identified the presence of the nitrate reductase gene (napA) and Mn(II)-oxide gene (cumA) in strain SZ28. The results of XRD and SEM indicated that ZVI, nZVI, Fe(II), and Mn(II) were oxidized into corresponding oxides. XPS spectra indicated that the Cd(II) was adsorbed onto biogenic precipitation.
KeywordsMixotrophic denitrification Electron donor Cadmium removal Nitrogen Biological metabolites
This research work was partly supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC) (No. 51678471), the National Key Research and Development Program of China (2016YFC0400706), and Key Scientific Technological Innovation Team Plan of Shaanxi Province (No. 2017KCT-19-02).
- APHA (2005) Standard methods for the examination of water and wastewater, 21st edn. American Public Health Association, Washington, DC, USAGoogle Scholar
- Peng L, Liu YW, Gao SH, Chen XM, Xin P, Dai XH, Ni BJ (2015) Evaluation on the nanoscale zero valent iron based microbial denitrification for nitrate removal from groundwater. Sci Rep 5:1–5Google Scholar
- Su JF, Zheng SC, Huang TL, Ma F, Shao SC, Yang SF, Zhang LN (2015) Simultaneous removal of Mn (II) and nitrate by the manganese-oxidizing bacterium Acinetobacter sp. SZ28 in anaerobic conditions. Geomicrobiol J 7:586–591Google Scholar
- Wang HY, Song Q, Wang J, Zhang H, He QL, Zhang W, Song JY, Zhou JP, Li H (2018) Simultaneous nitrification, denitrification and phosphorus removal in an aerobic granular sludge sequencing batch reactor with high dissolved oxygen: effects of carbon to nitrogen ratios. Sci Total Environ 642:1145–1152CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Yao S, Ni J, Ma T, Li C (2013) Heterotrophic nitrification and aerobic denitrification at low temperature by a newly isolated bacterium, Acinetobacter sp. HA2, Bioresour. Technol. 139(13):80–86Google Scholar