Preparation of montmorillonite grafted polyacrylic acid composite and study on its adsorption properties of lanthanum ions from aqueous solution
- 28 Downloads
Montmorillonite grafted polyacrylic acid composite (GNM) was prepared by using ultraviolet radiation grafting method in this work. The synthesized materials were characterized by XRF, SEM, FTIR, XRD, TG, and XPS. The experimental equilibrium data indicates that the adsorbent is suitable for the Langmuir model and belongs to the pseudo-second-order kinetic model. The entire adsorption process is spontaneous, endothermic, and chaotically enhanced by thermodynamic analysis. The maximum adsorption capacity of La(III) by GNM was 280.54 mg/g at 313.15 K. In addition, the regeneration experiment shows that the adsorbent has good reusability and stable desorption efficiency. This study demonstrates that GNM has high adsorption performance and La(III) adsorption and regeneration capabilities to solve the water pollution caused by rare earth ions and regeneration capabilities for La(III).
KeywordsMontmorillonite Ultraviolet radiation graft Lanthanum ions adsorption
This work was supported by the National Key R&D Program of China (No. 2017YFB0310805) and Funding of Engineering Research Center of Nano-Geo Materials of Ministry of Education, China University of Geosciences (NGM2017KF006), and Science and Technology Project of Hubei Geological Bureau (KJ2019-28).
- Al-Dujaili AH, Al-Bshaish AA, Hamadneh I (2018) Adsorption of Lanthanum (La) and Samarium (Sm) by Diatomaceous EarthGoogle Scholar
- Ali I, Aboul-Enein HY, Gupta VK (2009) Nanochromatography and nanocapillary electrophoresis: pharmaceutical and environmental analyses. John Wiley & SonsGoogle Scholar
- Ali I, Aboulenein HY, Ali I, Aboulenein HY (2006) Instrumental methods in metal ion speciation Chromatographic Science 388:869–870Google Scholar
- Burakova EA, Dyachkova TP, Rukhov AV, Tugolukov EN, Galunin EV, Tkachev AG, Basheer AA, Ali I (2018) Novel and economic method of carbon nanotubes synthesis on a nickel magnesium oxide catalyst using microwave radiation. J Mol Liq 253:340–346. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molliq.2018.01.062 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Gupta V, Ali I (2002) Encyclopedia of surface and colloid science. Marcel Dekker, New York, pp 136–166Google Scholar
- Gupta VK, Ali I (2012) Environmental water: advances in treatment, remediation and recycling. NewnesGoogle Scholar
- Imran Ali VKG, Tabrez A. Khan1 and Mohd Asim (2012) Removal of arsenate from aqueous solution by electrocoagulation method using Al-Fe electrodes International Journal of Electrochemical Science 7:1898–1907Google Scholar
- Ma Y et al. (2017) Porous lignin based poly (acrylic acid)/organo-montmorillonite nanocomposites: Swelling behaviors and rapid removal of Pb (II) ions PolymerGoogle Scholar
- Rahman ML, Biswas TK, Sarkar SM, Yusoff MM, Sarjadia MS, Arshad SE, Musta B (2017) Adsorption of rare earth metals from water using a kenaf cellulose-based poly(hydroxamic acid) ligand. J Mol Liq:243Google Scholar