Sodium dodecyl sulfate-coated-cationized agroforestry residue as adsorbent for benzene-adsorptive sequestration from aqueous solution
- 41 Downloads
The aim of this work is to convert agroforestry residue to a novel adsorbent (M-1CTA-SDS-BT) used for adsorptive benzene sequestration from aqueous solution. In this study, the anionic surfactant-coated-cationized banana trunk was synthesized and characterized for batch adsorption of benzene from aqueous solution. The surface morphology, surface chemistry, surface area, and pore properties of the synthesized adsorbents were examined. It was proven that surface cationization successfully increased the benzene adsorption capacity of sodium dodecyl sulfate-coated adsorbents. The Langmuir isotherm model satisfactorily described the equilibrium adsorption data. The maximum benzene adsorption capacity (qmax) of 468.19 μmol/g was attained. The kinetic data followed the pseudo-second-order kinetic model in which the rate-limiting step was proven to be the film diffusion. The batch-adsorbent regeneration results indicated that the M-1CTA-SDS-BT could withstand at least five adsorption/desorption cycles without drastic adsorption capacity reduction. The findings demonstrated the adsorptive potential of agroforestry-based adsorbent as a natural and cheap material for benzene removal from contaminated water.
KeywordsAgroforestry residue Anionic surfactant Cationization Adsorbent characterization Benzene Adsorption
The financial support of the Research University Grant (GUP Grant Nos. 00H63and 06H85), the Ph.D. scholarship from the Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM) and UTM Post-Doctoral Fellowship Scheme (PDRU 04E09 and 04E29) awarded to Helen Kong and Norasikin Saman are gratefully acknowledged.
- Akpa JG, Nmegbu CGJ (2014) Adsorption of benzene on activated carbon from agricultural waste materials. Res J Chem Sci 4:34–40Google Scholar
- Crini G, Badot PM (2008) Application of chitosan, a natural aminopolysaccharide, for dye removal from aqueous solutions by adsorption processes using batch studies: a review of recent literature. Prog Polym Sci 33:399–447. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.progpolymsci.2007.11.001 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- El-dars FMSE, Hussien MYM, Kandil AHT (2015) TOC reduction in drinking water using anionic surfactant modified bentonite. Int J Sci Eng Res 6:584–594Google Scholar
- Koay YS, Ahamad IS, Nourouzi MM et al (2014) Development of novel low-cost quaternized adsorbent from palm oil agriculture waste for reactive dye removal. BioResources 9:66–85Google Scholar
- Mahvi AH, Vosoughi M, Mohammadi MJ, Asadi A, Hashemzadeh B, Zahedi A, Pourfadakar S (2016) Sodium dodecyl sulfate modified-zeolite as a promising adsorbent for the removal of natural organic matter from aqueous environments. Heal Scope 5:1–8. https://doi.org/10.17795/jhealthscope-29966 Google Scholar
- Malhotra M, Suresh S, Garg A (2018) Tea waste derived activated carbon for the adsorption of sodium diclofenac from wastewater: adsorbent characteristics, adsorption isotherms, kinetics, and thermodynamics. Environ Sci Pollut Res 25:1–11. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11356-018-3148-y CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Nourmoradi H, Nikaeen M, Khiadani (Hajian) M (2012) Removal of benzene, toluene, ethylbenzene and xylene (BTEX) from aqueous solutions by montmorillonite modified with nonionic surfactant: equilibrium, kinetic and thermodynamic study. Chem Eng J 191:341–348. https://doi.org/10.1016/J.CEJ.2012.03.029 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Omo-Okoro PN, Daso AP, Okonkwo JO (2018) A review of the application of agricultural wastes as precursor materials for the adsorption of per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances: a focus on current approaches and methodologies. Environ Technol Innov 9:100–114. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eti.2017.11.005 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Singh K, Chandra B, Gautam M (2016) Development of inexpensive adsorbent from agro-waste for phenol adsorption. J Sci Ind Res (India) 75:444–451Google Scholar
- Statista (2018) World production of bananas in 2016, by region (in 1,000 metric tons). https://www.statista.com/statistics/264003/production-of-bananas-worldwide-by-region/. Accessed 28 Nov 2018Google Scholar
- Wu Z, Lee K (2004) Adsorption mechanisms of mesoporous adsorbents in solutions. Chem Res Chin Univ 20:185–187Google Scholar