The impact of Bt maize expressing the Cry1Ac protein on non-target arthropods
From 2014 to 2016, individuals of the principal non-target arthropod (NTA) species in a field of Bt maize expressing the Cry1Ac protein (Bt38) were compared to those in a control field of the corresponding non-transformed near isoline (Z58). For all 3 years, the population dynamics and biodiversity of NTAs were analyzed to determine if any differences might be attributable to the genetically modified (GM) maize being evaluated. The main NTAs in these fields were Aphidoidea, Pentatomidae,Araneae, and Coccinellidae. Temporal variation in NTA diversity across sample dates within a year showed no significant differences between the Bt maize and the non-Bt maize field in the total number of individuals of the dominant arthropod species per 25 plants, the Shannon index (H), Pielou index (J), Simpson index (D), and Bray-Curtis index. The cultivation of Bt corn failed to show any detrimental evidence on individuals, H, J, D, and Bray-Curtis index of NTAs, and these parameters were identical in Bt and non-Bt corn plots. These results provide further evidence of the lack of ecological impact of GM maize.
KeywordsBt38 Non-target arthropods Arthropod diversity Abundance
Conceived and designed the experiments: YJX, XHD, WPS. Performed the experiments: YJX, ZFQ, MYF, YY, LZ, YW, YXZ. Analyzed the data: YJX. Contributed reagents/materials/analysis tools: YJX, ZFQ, MYF, YW, XHD, SQT, WPS. Wrote the paper: YJX, WPS.
This research was funded by the Special Fund for Transgenic Crop Research of China (2016ZX08011-003).
- Ahmad A, Negri I, Oliveira W, Brown C, Asiimwe P, Sammons B, Horak M, Jiang C, Carson D (2016) Transportable data from non-target arthropod field studies for the environmental risk assessment of genetically modified maize expressing an insecticidal double-stranded RNA. Transgenic Res 25:1–17CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- James C (2018) Global status of commercialized biotech/GM crops: 2017. ISAAA Brief.53. ISAAA, IthacaGoogle Scholar
- Mehboob-ur-Rahman, Shaheen T, Irem S, Zafar Y (2015) Biosafety risk of genetically modified crops containing cry genes. CO2 sequestration, Biofuels and depollutionGoogle Scholar
- Oksanen J, Blanchet FG, Friendly M, Kindt R, Legendre P, McGlinn D, Minchin PR, O’Hara RB, Simpson GL, Solymos P, Stevens MH, Szoecs E, Wagner H (2018) Vegan: community ecology package. R package version 2.4–6. https://cran.r-project.org/package=vegan. Accessed 17 Jul 2018
- R Core Team (2017) R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for statistical computing, Vienna, Austria. URL https://www.R-project.org/. Accessed 17 Jul 2018
- Shannon CE, Weaver W (1949) The mathematical theory of communication. University of Illinois Press, UrbanaGoogle Scholar