Kinetic, equilibrium, and thermodynamic performance of sulfonamides adsorption onto graphene
- 82 Downloads
With the extensive production and consumption of sulfonamide antibiotics, their existence in aquatic environments has received increasing attention due to their acute and chronic toxic effects. In this study, graphene was characterized and applied for sulfamethazine (SMT) removal from aqueous solution. The effect of the contact time (0–1440 min), initial concentration (2–100 mg L−1), and temperature (298–318 K), as well as pH (2–9) and ionic strength (0–0.2 M NaNO3), have been examined. The maximum adsorption capacity was calculated to be 104.9 mg g−1 using the Langmuir model. The endothermic adsorption process (△H = 10.940 kJ mol−1) was pH- and temperature-dependent, and the adsorption data fitted well with the Langmuir isothermal and the pseudo second-order kinetic models. Additionally, ionic strength (0.01 to 0.2 M NaNO3) had no obvious influence on SMT adsorption by graphene. Ultimately, graphene proved to be an effective adsorbent for sulfonamide antibiotics removal from aqueous solutions.
KeywordsGraphene Antibiotics Sulfamethazine Adsorption Kinetics
The research was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (51338005) and the Program for Changjiang Scholars and Innovative Research Team in College (IRT-13026).
- Ducey TF, Collins JC, Ro KS, Woodbury BL, Griffin DD (2017) Hydrothermal carbonization of livestock mortality for the reduction of pathogens and microbially-derived DNA. Front Environ Sci Eng 11(3): DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s11783-017-0930-x
- Liu QQ, Li M, Zhang FW, Yu HC, Zhang Q, Liu X, (2017a) The removal of trimethoprim and sulfamethoxazole by a high infiltration rate artificial composite soil treatment system. Front Environ Sci Eng 11(2). https://doi.org/10.1007/s11783-017-0920-z
- Radovic LR, Moreno-Castilla C, Rivera-Utrilla J (2001) Carbon materials as adsorbents in aqueous solutions. Chem Phys Carbon 27:227–405Google Scholar
- Rostamian R, Behnejad H (2018) Insights into doxycycline adsorption onto graphene nanosheet: a combined quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, and kinetic study. Environ Sci Pollut Res 25: 2528–2537Google Scholar
- Song XY, Liu R, Chen LJ, Kawagishi T (2017) Comparative experiment on treating digested piggery wastewater with a biofilm MBR and conventional MBR: simultaneous removal of nitrogen and antibiotics. Front Environ Sci Eng 11(2). https://doi.org/10.1007/s11783-017-0919-5
- Zhao WT, Guo Y, Lu SG, Yan PP, Sui Q (2016) Recent advances in pharmaceuticals and personal care products in the surface water and sediments in China. Front Environ Sci Eng 10(6). https://doi.org/10.1007/s11783-016-0868-4
- Zhu X, Wang JL (2017) Comparison of sulfamethazine adsorption by multi-walled carbon nanotubes (MWCNTS) and magnetic MWCNTS from aqueous solution. Fresenius Environ Bull 26:579–589Google Scholar