Effects of Microcystis aeruginosa on the life history traits and SOD activity of Daphnia similoides sinensis
With water eutrophication and global warming, cyanobacteria blooms have occurred frequently, and the interaction between M. aeruginosa and Daphnia has been widely paid attention by researchers. However, the effects of toxic M. aeruginosa on the SOD activity of Daphnia are poorly known. Six D. similoides sinensis clones collected from Lake Junshan and the offspring of two clones were employed. The effects of toxic M. aeruginosa on the life history traits and SOD activities of D. similoides sinensis in the mother and their offspring were studied. Toxic M. aeruginosa could significantly inhibit the life history traits (e.g., body lengths, offspring numbers at first reproduction, cumulative offspring numbers, and the intrinsic rate of population) and induce higher SOD activities of D. similoides sinensis. Compared with the mother, the effects of toxic M. aeruginosa on the life history traits and SOD activities of D. similoides sinensis in the offspring showed obvious differences. Moreover, the adaptability of the offspring to M. aeruginosa indicated also the differences between two clones. Our results suggested that the mother exposed to toxic M. aeruginosa could enhance the fitness of their offspring to Microcystis by maternal effect and was also affected by the D. similoides sinensis genotypes.
KeywordsDaphnia similoides sinensis Microcystis aeruginosa SOD Life history traits Maternal effect Clone
This program was financially supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 31370470; 31870451).
- Dao TS, Ortiz-Rodríguez R, Do-Hong LC, Wiegand C (2013) Non-microcystin and non-cylindrospermopsin producing cyanobacteria affect the biochemical responses and behavior of Daphnia magna. Int Rev Hydrobiol 98(5):235–244Google Scholar
- Hu ZQ, Li DH, Liu YD, He GY (2006) Advances in ecotoxicology of microcystins to aquatic organisms. Prog Nat Sci 16(1):14–20 (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Jia XY, Chen ZW (2002) The subacute toxicity of cadmium on Carassias auratus. Acta Agric Zhejiangensis 14(3):155–158 (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Namikoshi M, Rinehart KL (1996) Bioactive compounds produced by cyanobacteria. J Ind Microbiol 17(5–6):373–384Google Scholar
- Zhang YM, Wang YJ, Yu RL, Zhou M (2008) Effects of heavy metals on ATPase and SOD activities of Hepatopancreas in Misgurnus anguillicaudatus. J Gansu Sci 20(3):55–59 (in Chinese)Google Scholar