The Effect of Inflation Targeting on Foreign Direct Investment Flows to Developing Countries
- 31 Downloads
Due to the many benefits that come with foreign direct investment (FDI), such as greater economic growth and technology spillovers, developing countries strive to attract this type of investment. Although the amount of FDI in developing countries has increased greatly over the past several years, not all developing countries have been successful at attracting it. A credible monetary policy, such as inflation targeting (IT), might make countries that implement it more attractive destinations for FDI flows due to the reliable macroeconomic environment created. This paper estimates the effect of IT on FDI flows to developing countries using a difference-in-differences approach and panel data for 71 countries for the period 1985 to 2013. This paper also looks at the difference between targeting and non-targeting countries in terms of FDI inflows during times of high instability. The results indicate that the adoption of IT leads to increased FDI flows to developing countries overall and, most importantly, during times of distress.
KeywordsFDI Inflation targeting Inflation Developing countries Economic crises
JELE58 E52 F21
- Azangue, A. F. (2012). Coping with the recent financial crisis, did inflation targeting make any difference? Technical report. Available at https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00826277/document. Accessed 10 April 2018.
- Bernanke, B. S. (2011). The effects of the Great Recession on central bank doctrine and practice: a speech at the Federal Reserve Bank of Boston 56th Economic Conference, Boston, Massachusetts, Oct. 18, 2011. Technical report. Available at https://www.federalreserve.gov/newsevents/speech/bernanke20111018a.htm. Accessed 10 April 2018.
- Chinn, M. D. and Ito, H. (2016). A de jure measure of financial openness. Dataset. Available at http://web.pdx.edu/~ito/Chinn-Ito_website.htm. Date last accessed: 10 April 2018.
- Feng, Y. (2017). Determinants of foreign direct investment (FDI). Oxford research encyclopedia of politics. Available at http://politics.oxfordre.com/view/10.1093/acrefore/9780190228637. 001.0001/acrefore-9780190228637-e-559?result=59&rskey=C6w0GY. Accessed 10 April 2018.
- Gurtner, B. (2010). The financial and economic crisis and developing countries. International Development Policy, 1, 189–213.Google Scholar
- Hammond, G. (2012). State of the art of inflation targeting. Centre for Central Banking Studies, Bank of England. Available at https://econpapers.repec.org/bookchap/ccbhbooks/29.htm. Accessed 10 April 2018.
- Ilzetzki, E., Reinhart, C. M., and Rogoff, K. S. (2017). Exchange arrangements entering the 21st century: Which anchor will hold? Working Paper 23134, National Bureau of Economic Research. Available at http://www.carmenreinhart.com/data/browse-by-topic/topics/11/. Date last accessed: 10 April 2018.
- IMF (2004). Classification of exchange rate arrangements and monetary policy frameworks. International Monetary Fund. Available at https://www.imf.org/external/np/mfd/er/2004/eng/0604.htm. Accessed 10 April 2018.
- IMF (2009). Balance of payments and international investment position manual. International Monetary Fund, 6th edition. Available at https://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/bop/2007/bopman6.htm. Accessed 10 April 2018.
- IMF (2017). Seeking sustainable growth: Short-term recovery, long-term challenges. World Economic Outlook. Available at https://www.imf.org/en/Publications/WEO/Issues/2017/09/19/world-economic-outlook-october-2017. Accessed 10 April 2018.
- IMF, World Economic Outlook (1985–2013). Available at https://www.imf.org/external/datamapper/PCPIPCH@WEO/OEMDC/. Accessed 10 April 2018.
- Khan, N. (2016). Three essays on the macroeconomic impact of inflation targeting. (Doctoral Thesis). University of Ottawa. Available at https://ruor.uottawa.ca/bitstream/10393/35212/1/Khan_Najib_2016_thesis.pdf. Accessed 10 April 2018.
- Kiat, J. (2008). The effect of exchange rate and inflation on foreign direct investment and its relationship with economic growth in South Africa. An unpublished MBA Thesis. Available at http://upetd.up.ac.za/thesis/subnitted/etd. Accessed 10 April 2018.
- Laeven, L. and Valencia, F. (2012). Systemic banking crises database: An update. IMF Working Paper, International Monetary Fund. Available at https://www.imf.org/en/Publications/WP/Issues/2016/12/31/Systemic-Banking-Crises-Database-An-Update-26015. Date last accessed: 10 April 2018.
- Mason, R., & Vracheva, V. (2017). The impact of inflation targeting on attracting foreign direct investment. Journal of Applied Business and Economics, 19(4), 79–94.Google Scholar
- National Bank of Georgia (NBG). (2018). Monetary policy strategy of the National Bank of Georgia. Available at https://www.nbg.gov.ge/index.php?m=628. Accessed 1 December 2018.
- OECD (2002). Foreign direct Investment for Development: Maximizing benefits, minimizing costs. Organization for Economic co-operation and Development. Available at https://www.oecd.org/investment/investmentfordevelopment/1959815.pdf. Accessed 10 April 2018.
- Political Risk Services Group. (1985-2013). International Country Risk Guide. Data Source for political risk index, democratic accountability, ethnic tensions, religious tensions, law and order, corruption, external conflict, bureaucracy quality, internal conflict, governmental stability, and socioeconomic conditions. Available at https://epub.prsgroup.com/available-data. Accessed 10 April 2018.
- Roger, S. (2010). Inflation targeting turns 20. Finance and Development, 47(1), 46–49 Available at https://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/fandd/2010/03/roger.htm. Accessed 10 April 2018.
- Seref Akin, M. (2009). How is the market size relevant as a determinant of FDI in developing countries? A research on population and the cohort size. International Symposium on Sustainable Development, pages 425–429. Available at https://www.researchgate.net/publication/267822860_How_Is_the_Market_Size_Relevant_as_a_Determinant_of_FDI_in_Developing_Countries_A_Research_on_Population_and_the_Cohort_Size. Accessed 10 April 2018.
- Strat, V. A., Davidescu, A., and Paul, A. M. (2015). FDI and the unemployment - a causality analysis for the latest EU members. Procedia Economics and Finance, 23(Supplement C):635–643. 2nd Global Conference on Business, Economics, Management and Tourism. Available at https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/81183232.pdf. Accessed 10 April 2018.
- Svirydzenka, K. (2016). Introducing a new broad-based index of financial development. IMF Working Paper. Available at https://www.imf.org/en/Publications/WP/Issues/2016/12/31/Introducing-a-New-Broad-based-Index-of-Financial-Development-43621. Date last accessed: 10 April 2018.
- Tapsoba, R. (2010). Does inflation targeting improve fiscal discipline? An empirical investigation. In Technical report Available at https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00553329/document. Accessed 10 April 2018.
- Tapsoba, R. (2012). Does inflation targeting matter for attracting foreign direct investment into developing countries? Working papers 201203, CERDI. Available at https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00667203/document. Accessed 10 April 2018.
- Ullah, I., Shah, M., and Khan, F. U. (2014). Domestic investment, foreign direct investment, and economic growth nexus: A case of Pakistan. Economics research international. Available at https://www.hindawi.com/journals/ecri/2014/592719/, 1, 5. Accessed 10 April 2018.Google Scholar
- UNCTAD (1985–2013). World Investment Report. Available at http://unctadstat.unctad.org/wds/TableViewer/tableView.aspx?ReportId=96740. Accessed 10 April 2018.
- UNCTAD (2017). World investment report 2017, investment and the digital economy. United Nations Publication. Available at https://unctad.org/en/PublicationsLibrary/wir2017_en.pdf. Accessed 10 April 2018.
- Valli, M. and Masih, M. (2014). Is there any causality between inflation and FDI in an inflation targeting regime? Evidence from South Africa. MPRA Paper 60246, University Library of Munich, Germany. Available at https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de/60246/1/MPRA_paper_60246.pdf. Accessed 10 April 2018.
- Williams, J. (2014). Inflation targeting and the global financial crisis: Successes and challenges. Conference on fourteen years of inflation targeting in South Africa and the challenge of a changing mandate. Available at https://www.frbsf.org/our-district/files/SARB-2014-Williams_Web_PDF-final.pdf. Accessed 10 April 2018.
- World Bank (1985-2013). World development indicators. Available at http://databank.worldbank.org/data/source/world-development-indicators. Date last accessed: 10 April 2018.