An Octagonal Shaped Monopole Antenna for UWB Applications with Band Notch Characteristics
- 8 Downloads
This article presents a microstrip-fed octagonal shaped monopole antenna with dual band notched characteristics for UWB applications. Partial ground plane has been employed in the geometry of proposed antenna to improve the VSWR bandwidth over the entire range of UWB (3.1–10.6 GHz). Initially, the proposed antenna exhibits the VSWR bandwidth of 9.06 GHz (121.28%) with a frequency range of 2.94–12.0 GHz and after introducing C-shaped slot and complementary split ring resonator on the geometry of octagonal shaped radiating patch, dual band notched function has been acquired at Wi-MAX (3.5 GHz) and upper WLAN (5.8 GHz) frequency bands. The overall dimensions of proposed UWB antenna are 30 mm × 30 mm. The proposed antenna is designed and simulated using Ansys HFSS V13 simulator, its fabricated prototype is also tested to validate the simulated results with experimental ones. Both the results are in reasonable agreement with each other. An experimental result also reveals that the proposed antenna depicts nearly omni-directional pattern like dipole antenna.
KeywordsWi-Max WLAN Band notch CSRR Monopole antenna UWB
- 1.Sharma, N., & Sharma, V. (2017). A journey of antenna from dipole to fractal: A review. International Journal of Engineering and Technology,6, 317–351.Google Scholar
- 8.Anob, P.-V., Ray, K.-P., & Kumar, G. (2001). Wideband orthogonal square monopole antennas with semi-circular base. IEEE Antennas Propagation Symposium, Boston,3, 294–297.Google Scholar
- 13.Bhatia, S.-S., Sahni, A., & Rana, S.-B. (2018). A novel design of compact monopole antenna with defected ground plane for wideband applications. Progress in Electromagnetics Research M,70, 21–31.Google Scholar
- 14.Liu, W., Xu, P., & Jiang, T. (2016). A design of UWB monopole antenna with double band-notch characteristic. In 6th International conference on inst. & measur., comp., comm., & cont. (pp. 956–958).Google Scholar
- 16.Jalil, Y.-E., Chakrabarty, C.-K., & Kasi, B. (2014). A compact ultra wideband antenna with band notched design. In IEEE 2nd international symposium on telephone technology (pp. 408–412).Google Scholar
- 17.Wu, W., Yuan, B., & Wu, A. (2018). A quad element UWB MIMO antenna with band notch and reduced mutual coupling based on EBG structures. International Journal of Antenna and Propagation,2018, 8490740.Google Scholar
- 27.Li, Y., Li, W., & Yu, W. (2013). A compact reconfigurable antenna using SIRs and switches for ultra wideband and multi-band wireless communication applications. Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society Journal,28(5), 427–440.Google Scholar
- 28.Li, Y., Li, W., & Yu, W. (2013). A multi-band/UWB MIMO/diversity antenna with an enhance isolation using radial stub loaded resonator. Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society Journal,28(1), 8–20.Google Scholar
- 37.Waheed, N., Saadat, A., Zubair, M.-U., Sadiq, M.-Z., Ahmad, T., Rasool, M., et al. (2017). Ultra-wideband antenna with WLAN and WiMAX band notch characteristic. In IEEE international conference on communication computing and digital systems (C-CODE) (pp. 101–106). http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/C-CODE.2017.7918190.
- 38.Ahmed, Z., Perwasha, G., Shahid, S., Zahra, H., Saleem, I., & Abbas, S.-M. (2013). Ultra wideband antenna with WLAN band-notch characteristic. In IEEE international conference on computer, cont and comm (IC4). http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/IC4.2013.6653762.