Design and Development of Low Profile MIMO Antenna for 5G New Radio Smartphone Applications
- 29 Downloads
A low-profile planar four-element MIMO antenna is proposed in this paper that can be integrated inside wireless handheld devices. Every unit antenna is made of simple planar L-shaped monopole placed over etched non-ground area of 10 × 5 mm2. The optimized antenna elements cover three 5G New Radio bands falling within C-band: n77 band (3.3–4.2 GHz), n78 band (3.3–3.8 GHz) and n79 band (4.4–5 GHz), with isolation better than 18.8 dB, without the requirement of any additional decoupling structure. The designed antenna is fabricated on FR4 substrate of dimension 120 × 65 × 1.6 mm3. Antenna characteristics regarding reflection coefficient, mutual coupling, radiation pattern and gain are measured and discussed. The envelop correlation coefficient is computed and is lower than 0.018 for the entire range of frequency under consideration. The simplicity and compactness of the proposed MIMO antenna provides adequate space for integration of other circuits inside handheld mobile terminal. Further the integration with lower generation antennas are investigated; the result indicates that the placement of the proposed antenna system on the two long arms of ground plane offer adequate space for integration of lower generation antenna without adversely affecting each other’s performance.
KeywordsMultiple input multiple output (MIMO) antenna Monopole antenna 5G new radio Envelop correlation coefficient Mobile terminal antenna
- 4.Li, Y, Sim, C. Y. D., Luo, Y., & Yang, G. (2019). High-isolation 3.5 GHz 8-antenna MIMO array using balanced open slot antenna element for 5G Smartphone. IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation. https://doi.org/10.1109/tap.2019.2902751.
- 5.Abdullah, M., Ban, Y. L., Kang, K., Li, M. Y., & Amin, M. (2017a). Compact four-port MIMO antenna system at 3.5 GHz.. In IEEE 2nd advanced information technology, electronic and automation control conference, Chongqing, China. https://doi.org/10.1109/iaeac.2017.8054098.
- 7.Chen, W. S., & Chang, Y. L. (2018). Small-size 5G C-band/WLAN5.2/5.8 GHz MIMO antennas for laptop computer applications. In IEEE international workshop on electromagnetics: Applications and student innovation competition, Nagoya, Japan. https://doi.org/10.1109/iwem.2018.8536629.
- 9.Abdullah, M., Ban, Y. L., Kang, K., Sarkodie, O. K. K. F., & Li, M. Y. (2017b). Compact 4 port MIMO antenna system for 5G mobile terminal. In IEEE international applied computational electromagnetics society symposium, Florence, Italy. https://doi.org/10.23919/ropaces.2017.7916045.
- 11.Wong, K. L., Tsai, C. Y., & Lu, J. Y. (2017). Two asymmetrically mirrored gap-coupled loop antennas as a compact building block for eight-antenna MIMO array in future Smartphone. IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation,65, 1765–1778. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2017.2670534.MathSciNetCrossRefzbMATHGoogle Scholar
- 13.Wang, H., Zhu, L., Wang, Y., & Yang, G. (2018) A hybrid PIFA/open-slot antenna array for the 3.5/4.9/5.8 GHz MIMO operation in the future 5G Smartphone applications. In International applied computational electromagnetics society symposium, Beijing, China. https://doi.org/10.23919/acess.2018.8669139.
- 15.Dioum, I., Diallo, K., Diop, I., Sane,.L, & Ngom, A. (2018). Miniature MIMO antennas for 5G mobile terminals. In 6th international conference on multimedia computing and systems, Rabat, Morocco. https://doi.org/10.1109/icmcs.2018.8525870.
- 17.Sharawi, M. S. (2014). Printed MIMO antenna systems: Performance metrics, implementations and challenges. Forum for Electromagnetic Research Methods and Application Technologies,1, 1–11.Google Scholar
- 19.Biswas, A., Gupta, V. R. (2019a). Novel compact antenna for smartphone covering fifteen LTE bands. In International conference on electrical, communication, electronics, instrumentation and computing, Kanchipuram, India.Google Scholar
- 20.Biswas, A., Gupta, V.R. (2019b). Multiband antenna design for Smartphone covering 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G NR frequencies. In 3rd international conference on trends in electronics and informatics, Tirunelveli, India.Google Scholar