Analysis of GSM-SM Over \(\kappa -\mu\), \(\eta -\mu\) and \(\alpha -\mu\) Fading Channels
- 32 Downloads
Spatial multiplexing increases the throughput by sending multiple data bits parallelly while generalized spatial modulation (GSM) increases the spectral efficiency. By combining both these schemes, we proposed a new scheme, GSM-SM (i.e., GSM is combined with spatial multiplexing) for transmitting various data symbols at any instant of time over active transmit antennas. Consequently, GSM-SM spectral efficiency increases when compared to GSM at the price of multiple radio frequency chains. Maximum likelihood detector operation is performed at the receiver in presence and absence of channel estimation errors. The average bit error rate of GSM-SM is evaluated with fading channels viz. \(\kappa -\mu\), \(\eta -\mu\) and \(\alpha -\mu\). At a particular spectral efficiency, GSM-SM performance is compared with other existing schemes, namely GSM and spatial modulation, and the proposed scheme gives the best result. Later GSM-SM analysis is carried with the help of simulations over different scenarios.
KeywordsGeneralized spatial modulation Fading channel Average bit error rate ML detector Channel estimation errors Spatial multiplexing RF chain
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 3.Badarneh, O. S., Mesleh, R., Ikki, S. S., & Aggoune, H. M. Performance analysis of space modulation techniques over alpha-mu fading channels with imperfect channel estimation. In 2014 IEEE 80th vehicular technology conference (VTC2014-Fall), organization (pp. 1–5). IEEE.Google Scholar
- 6.Younis, A., Serafimovski, N., Mesleh, R., & Haas, H. Generalised spatial modulation. In 2010 conference record of the forty fourth Asilomar conference on signals, systems and computers (pp. 1498–1502). IEEE.Google Scholar
- 7.Fu, J., Hou, C., Xiang, W., Yan, L., & Hou, Y. Generalised spatial modulation with multiple active transmit antennas. In 2010 IEEE Globecom workshops (pp. 839–844). IEEE.Google Scholar
- 8.Yacoub, M. D. The \(\kappa-\mu\) distribution: A general fading distribution. In IEEE 54th vehicular technology conference. VTC fall 2001. Proceedings (Cat. No. 01CH37211) (vol. 3, pp. 1427–1431). IEEE.Google Scholar
- 9.Daoud, Y. M. et al., \(\eta-\mu\) distribution: A general fading distribution. In IEEE vehicular technology conference (vol. 2, pp. 872–877). IEEE.Google Scholar
- 12.Legnain, R. M., Hafez, R. H., Marsland, I. D., & Legnain, A. M. A novel spatial modulation using mimo spatial multiplexing. In 2013 1st international conference on communications, signal processing, and their applications (ICCSPA) (pp. 1–4). IEEE.Google Scholar
- 13.Wu, J., & Xiao, C. Optimal diversity combining based on linear estimation of Rician fading channels. In 2007 IEEE international conference on communications (pp. 3999–4004). IEEE.Google Scholar
- 16.Younis, A., Basnayaka, D. A., & Haas, H. Performance analysis for generalised spatial modulation, In 20th European wireless conference. European wireless 2014 (pp. 1–6). VDE.Google Scholar