Reliable Routing Algorithm Based on Clustering and Mobile Sink in Wireless Sensor Networks
- 28 Downloads
Given the limited battery energy of the sensor networks, energy efficiency is regarded as one of the most crucial issues for WSNs. In WSNs with a fixed sink, since the nodes near the sink share multi-hop routes and data and integrated towards the sink, these nodes are more likely to deplete their battery energy than other nodes of the network. Nodes’ shutdown leads to topology failure and the reduction of the sensing coverage which interrupts sensors’ data reporting tasks. In this paper, mobile sink was suggested for dealing with this problem so that load balance and uniform energy consumption can be achieved throughout the network. The proposed method, referred to as distributed clustering reliable routing protocol, operates in the distributed form and is able to minimize the reported delay. Simulation results and the comparison of the proposed protocol with NODIC protocol indicated that the proposed protocol performs better and has higher failure tolerance especially in terms of sensor nodes’ failure.
KeywordsClustering Energy consumption WSNs (wireless sensor networks) DCRRP protocol Reliability
- 1.Abasıkeles-Turgut, İ., & Hafif, O. G. (2015). NODIC: A novel distributed clustering routing protocol in WSNs by using a time-sharing approach for CH election. Wireless Network, 22, 1–12.Google Scholar
- 3.Casari, P., Nati, M., Petrioli, C., & Zorzi, M. (2006). ALBA: An adaptive load-balanced algorithm for geographic forwarding in wireless sensor networks. In Military communications conference, 2006. MILCOM 2006 (pp. 1–9). IEEE.Google Scholar
- 5.Fyffe, M., Sun, M. T., & Ma, X. (2007). Traffic-adapted load balancing in sensor networks employing geographic routing. In Wireless communications and networking conference, 2007. WCNC 2007 (pp. 4389–4394). IEEE.Google Scholar
- 6.Heinzelman, W. R., Chandrakasan, A., & Balakrishnan, H. (2000). Energy-efficient communication protocol for wireless microsensor networks. In Proceedings of the 33rd annual Hawaii international conference on system sciences, 2000 (pp. 10-pp). IEEE.Google Scholar
- 10.OPNET, L. Specialized model. http://www.opnet.com. 2014.