Nearby Carrier Detection Based on Low Cost RTL-SDR Front End
- 15 Downloads
Recent advances associated with wireless technology are presenting fast development for new wireless telecommunications generations. Development that creates a need for operators and individuals to use hybrid equipment combining the different generation protocol stacks to handle availability and quality of services. Software Defined Radio SDR technology offers new paradigm, allowing single device to handle several digital telecommunications schemes simultaneously. In this article, we are using low cost RTL-SDR front-end receiver to simplify traditional complex hardware and proprietary equipment systems for carrier detection. Our developed solution use the RTL-SDR dongle to detect and monitor nearby carriers activities.
KeywordsSoftware defined radio SDR RTL-SDR Carrier detection
- 1.Pereira, V., Sousa, T.,, Mendes, P., & Monteiro, E. (2004). Evaluation of mobile communications: From voice calls to ubiquitous multimedia group communications. In Proceedings of the 2nd international working conference on performance modelling and evaluation of heterogeneous networks, HET-NETs’04, Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK, July 2.Google Scholar
- 5.Laufer, C. (2015). The hobbyist’s guide to the RTL-SDR. http://www.rtlsdr.com/. Accessed 08 Mar 2019.
- 7.Rafael Microelectronics. R820T high performance low power advanced digital TV silicon tuner (datasheet) (26 pages). http://rtl-sdr.com/. Accessed 08 Mar 2019.
- 8.Rafael Microelectronics. R820T2 register description (11 pages). http://www.rtl-sdr.com/. Accessed 08 Mar 2019.
- 9.Wickert, M. A., & Lovejoy, M. R. (2015). Hands-on soft-ware defined radio experiments with the low- cost RTL-SDR dongle. In 2015 IEEE signal processing and signal processing education workshop (SP/SPE), Salt Lake City, UT, 2015 (pp. 65–70). https://doi.org/10.1109/dsp-spe.2015.7369529.
- 10.Stewart, R. W., Barlee, K. W., Atkinson, D. S. W., & Crockett, L. H. (2015). Software defined radio using MATLAB and Simulink and the RTL-SDR. Glasgow: Strathclyde Academic Media.Google Scholar
- 11.RTL-SDR and GNU radio with realtek RTL2832U. http://superkuh.com/rtlsdr.html. Accessed 08 Mar 2019.
- 13.Press, W. A., Teukolsky, S. A., & Vetterling, W. T. (1988–1992) Numerical recipes in C: The art of scientific computing (chapter 14). Cambridge University Press. ISBN: 0-521-43108-5.Google Scholar
- 14.Heine, G., & Horrer, M. (1999). GSM networks: Protocols, terminology, and implementation. Norwood, MA: Artech House Inc.Google Scholar