Design of Software Defined Networking Gateway for the Internet-of-Things
- 26 Downloads
Pervasive computing is becoming a reality with the interconnection of numerous objects with unique identifiers and the ability to transmit data over the network. The heterogeneity in data traffic is on the rise with the evolution of the Internet of Things. The need for the gateway node in IoT to be equipped with more efficient networking capability to tackle the data traffic is becoming inevitable. This paper discusses the integration of Software Defined Networking paradigm with the gateway node to manage the data in the network optimally. A routing algorithm called Ethernet packet frame based routing that improves the Quality of Service is implemented by instantiating an OpenFlow compliant Software Defined Networking controller on the IoT gateway. The results corresponding to the statistics of the experimental setup is tabulated which shows an improvement of bandwidth by 44.98% and reduction of jitter by 33%.
KeywordsInternet of things Software defined networking Gateway OpenFlow QoS routing Open virtual switch POX controller
- 1.Xie, H., Boukerche, A., & Loureiro, A. A. F. (2013). Towards TCP optimization in wireless networks by a frame based cross layer routing metric. In Global communications conference (GLOBECOM) (pp. 4603–4608).Google Scholar
- 2.Qin, Z., Denker, G., Giannelli, C., et al. (2014). A software defined networking architecture for the internet-of-things. In Network operations and management symposium (NOMS), IEEE. https://doi.org/10.1109/noms.2014.6838365.
- 3.Tadinada, V. R. (2014). Software defined networking: Redefining the future of internet in IoT and cloud era. In Future internet of things and cloud (FiCloud) (pp. 296–301). https://doi.org/10.1109/ficloud.2014.53.
- 6.Trevizan de Oliveira, B., Borges Margi, C., & Batista Gabriel, L. (2014). TinySDN: Enabling multiple controllers for software-defined wireless sensor networks. In IEEE Latin-America Conference on Communications (LATINCOM) (pp. 1–6). https://doi.org/10.1109/latincom.2014.7041885.
- 7.Laura, G., Milardo, S., Morabito, G., Palazzo, S. (2015). SDN-WISE: Design, prototyping and experimentation of a stateful SDN solution for wireless sensor networks. In Proceedings-IEEE INFOCOM (pp. 513–521). https://doi.org/10.1109/infocom.2015.7218418.
- 10.Hai, H., Zhu, J., & Zhang, L. (2014). An SDN_based management framework for IoT devices. In 25th IET Irish signals and systems conference, ISSC and China-Ireland international conference on information and communications technologies, CIICT (pp. 175–179). https://doi.org/10.1049/cp.2014.0680.
- 11.Al-Sadi, A. M., Al-Sherbaz, A., Xue, J., & Turner, S. (2016). Routing algorithm optimization for software defined network WAN. In International conference on multidisciplinary in IT and communication techniques science and applications. https://doi.org/10.1109/aic-mitcsa.2016.7759945.
- 15.Adedayo, A. O., & Twala, B. (2017). QoS functionality in software defined network. In International conference on information and communication technology convergence: ICT convergence technologies leading the fourth industrial revolution. https://doi.org/10.1109/ictc.2017.8191068.
- 16.Evans, D. (2011). The Internet of Things How the Next Evolution of the Internet Is Changing Everything. Cisco Internet Business Solutions Group (IBSG): White Paper.Google Scholar
- 19.Zhu, Q., Wang, R., Chen, Q., Liu, Y., & Qin, W. (2010). IOT gateway: Bridging wireless sensor networks into internet of things. In Proceedings—IEEE/IFIP international conference on embedded and ubiquitous computing, EUC (pp. 347–352). https://doi.org/10.1109/euc.2010.58.
- 21.De Gante, A., Aslan, M., Matrawy, A. (2014). Smart wireless sensor network management based on software-defined networking. In 27th Biennial symposium on communications (QBSC) (pp. 71–75). https://doi.org/10.1109/qbsc.2014.6841187.
- 22.Sonchack, J., Aviv, A. J., Keller, E., et al. (2016). Enabling practical software-defined networking security applications with OFX. In Network and distributed system security symposium, https://doi.org/10.14722/ndss.2016.23309.
- 23.Tego, E., Matera, F., Attanasio, V., Del Buono, D. (2014).Quality of service management based on software defined networking approach in wide GbE networks. In Euro Med Telco conference (EMTC), Naples, Italy. https://doi.org/10.1109/emtc.2014.6996660.
- 24.Shakthipriya, P., & Bevi, A. R. (2017). Network protocol-based QoS routing using software defined networking, artificial intelligence and evolutionary computations in engineering systems, advances in intelligent systems and computing (Vol. 517). Singapore: Springer.Google Scholar